Author Topic: I have a serious eating problem.  (Read 4207 times)

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
I have a serious eating problem.
« on: January 14, 2012, 12:57:52 AM »
How do you guys control yourselves? Since October different life stresses have combined with winter and having entirely too much free time on my hands and out of a combination of boredom and stress I end up eating. Sometimes I'm not even hungry but for some reason I can't seem to step in and make myself stop.

I have gained 22 pounds, which is borderline insane. It's a problem, and I guess being aware of it is step one.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Re: I have a serious eating problem.
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 01:19:27 PM »
Stay out of the kitchen, keep your mind focused on other things.  I find that if I get lost in something I don't even think about eating.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 02:23:43 PM »
You try a food diary?
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 02:52:46 PM »

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 03:19:12 PM »
Keep junk food and snacks out of the house. Also, man up

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 03:21:05 PM »
You try a food diary?

A what now?

Just stop when you aren't hungry.

Fuck off :lol: BTW this multi quote was a PITA

Keep junk food and snacks out of the house. Also, man up

It's not even junk food. Ashley has a lot of that around, cravings and all, and I don't touch it. It's actual food.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 03:23:05 PM »
You try a food diary?

A what now?
a site like livestrong or dailyplate to track your food

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 03:25:18 PM »
I was using one on my last diet, but got lazy with the thing and I was probably doing it wrong. I guess I should start back up.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 03:28:46 PM »
Honestly, I find those types of food diaries to be way too much work, especially if you are cooking your own stuff and making up your own recipes.  I've just keeping a log with what I'm eating.  Like yesterday:
Breakfast @ 8:00 – 8:20:  2 1/2 cups of the chicken, rice, and tofu soup from last night

Lunch @ 12:45: Ham and Pepper Jack on wheat from Togos

Dinner @ 6: 3.8 oz thin new york steak, steamed veggies, 1 cup rice, 1 tbsp dipping oil, 1 glass red wine

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 03:29:13 PM »
How can you do it wrong?  Its literally "remember what you ate and input it"

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 03:42:37 PM »
How can you do it wrong?  Its literally "remember what you ate and input it"

A lot of the things nutritional data was not accurate on either of the websites, so I eventually got tired of adjusting and stopped so the data was not accurate.

Honestly, I find those types of food diaries to be way too much work, especially if you are cooking your own stuff and making up your own recipes.  I've just keeping a log with what I'm eating.  Like yesterday:
Breakfast @ 8:00 – 8:20:  2 1/2 cups of the chicken, rice, and tofu soup from last night

Lunch @ 12:45: Ham and Pepper Jack on wheat from Togos

Dinner @ 6: 3.8 oz thin new york steak, steamed veggies, 1 cup rice, 1 tbsp dipping oil, 1 glass red wine

This is how I handle my brew log, old fashioned in a notebook. Probably a good idea for eating too.

drakkenkorin

• Jackass VI
    • http://www.google.com
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2012, 03:47:48 PM »
this is a big problem for me since I'm a compulsive overeater and have been since I was a kid.

basically, if I can hear, see, smell or even talk about food, I WANT IT!

don't even have to be hungry to eat it and I have, on several occasions, made myself sick (i.e. puking) from overeating, only to start snacking about 10 minutes later.

best thing I've done (and it's a challenge sometimes) is set a timer on my phone to ring every 2 hours to allow me to snack for about 10 minutes.  but I have to remind myself to eat slowly (I'm used to shoveling food down my gullet only chewing about 4 times).  So now I concentrate on taking smaller bites and chewing at least 20 times.

It's still a challenge esp when I go out with a group for a meal and food is all around me.  Thankfully, most of my friends know of my problem and will move the plates away from me or I'll tell them (wait staff or friends) to move the plates out of way.
"I know that when I get home from work, I like to read the paper, sip a nice glass of Cabernet, and call people faggots on the internet.  Because I'm an adult." - Govtcheez

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2012, 04:30:41 PM »
this is a big problem for me since I'm a compulsive overeater and have been since I was a kid.

basically, if I can hear, see, smell or even talk about food, I WANT IT!

don't even have to be hungry to eat it and I have, on several occasions, made myself sick (i.e. puking) from overeating, only to start snacking about 10 minutes later.

best thing I've done (and it's a challenge sometimes) is set a timer on my phone to ring every 2 hours to allow me to snack for about 10 minutes.  but I have to remind myself to eat slowly (I'm used to shoveling food down my gullet only chewing about 4 times).  So now I concentrate on taking smaller bites and chewing at least 20 times.

It's still a challenge esp when I go out with a group for a meal and food is all around me.  Thankfully, most of my friends know of my problem and will move the plates away from me or I'll tell them (wait staff or friends) to move the plates out of way.

The timer may be a good idea. I didn't have this problem when I was working because I was active and occupied. Thats the major underlying issue but I need to get myself back on track and control the issue.

Chewing more may help, make my jaw tired. You would think with needing a tooth pulled it would slow me down.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2012, 04:56:59 PM »
> A lot of the things nutritional data was not accurate on either of the websites, so I eventually got tired of adjusting and stopped so the data was not accurate.

Sometimes you have to look around a bit to find data that users input wrong, but it's still a good tool.  You didn't seem to be too good at using it, either (I remember you thinking hamburger was measured in cups).  I know it's a pain at first but it's still a really good tool if you know what you're doing

But of course the real answer to your problem is willpower

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2012, 05:08:10 PM »
Yea i had a bunch of issues with it. Worth a second look