Author Topic: Vehicle battery switch  (Read 4629 times)

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
Vehicle battery switch
« on: July 25, 2008, 09:32:45 PM »
Ok not sure what the best thing to call it is so switch will have to do...

I hardly ever drive my truck and I have been having a problem with it draining the battery as it sits there and I have had the battery go out prematurely because of it.  So I was wondering if any of you knew of a switch that I could put between the battery terminal and the cable that'll allow me to disconnect the battery without actually pulling it off of the terminal.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
Re: Vehicle battery switch
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 09:57:38 PM »
Mike 

I know they exist, as I have seen them used as security switches. 

http://www.jcwhitney.com/Battery-Switches-Isolators/600000926.jcw

I have seen the green handled one used in the past, but don't remember details.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 10:39:45 PM »
Yes that green handled thing looks perfect!  The guy at Kragen recommended a quick disconnect but this thing looks so much better.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 02:15:00 PM »
If the battery is draining either the battery is bad or the vehicle is draining it which is a problem. You should be able to park the truck for 3-5 months and not start it, and still have battery life.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 03:54:01 PM »
The truck has an alarm (which right now I need to figure out how to turn off since it doesn't seem to want to respond to either remote) which will drain the battery.  Not sure how much though.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 04:06:09 PM »
That'll do it. If its the factory alarm there should be a fuse for it in the fuse box under the dash by your feet, or (rarely) under the hood. Aftermarket the unit is normally tucked up under the dash and the fuse will be plugged in the unit.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008, 04:30:27 PM »
Well it decided it was done messing with me and started playing nice nice.  It is an aftermarket and I'll have to figure out how to disable it one day.  The annoying part was that with the alarm armed it wouldn't even let me start the truck.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2008, 04:31:51 PM »
Sounds like an issue with the alarm. Most aftermarkets are "walmart" style and work basically the same. Should be under the dash as thats the easiest place for them. Should see a black square box up under there above the brake pedal.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008, 04:35:06 PM »
Problem is there are two black boxes.  One said something about shock detector and the other is up a little further.  Actually they were above the clutch.

Only thing I can think of is that the two units (the remote and the receiver) got out of sync during the last battery die.  Oh well it works for now.  Gonna try to find the paperwork for it and see where my brother had it done.  Might take it back to them and see what they can do.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008, 04:39:48 PM »
They are most likely both the alarm system. Some systems have a seperate box for the shock detection for windows, doors, etc which would explain the label. As long as its working and you have jump cables no sweat.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2008, 04:52:35 PM »
Just hoping that battery switch will do the job. 

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2008, 05:45:26 PM »
It probably will for now but overtime the issue will pull the battery down. I suggest getting the battery from Advance Auto and getting an Autocraft Silver. They are cheap, reliable, and come with a 2 year warranty.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2008, 06:17:22 PM »
Well when I drive the truck it'll recharge the battery.  The problem is that when you don't drive it the battery gets drained down which is bad for it.  When I was driving the truck regularly I didn't have any problems.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2008, 06:20:54 PM »
Yea if you are going to be running it more often you will be ok.

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2008, 11:16:56 PM »
Hmm, I wish I had paid attention to this thread earlier.  My friend's car (which has been having problems for the past year) was parked in one of the garages in the back for the past few months.  She had gotten a new battery in April because her car had problems starting up which seemed to work until her car broke down half an hour outside of Pittsburgh.

Well, it turned out the garage she parked it in didn't technically belong to us (but the next one over did), so we tried to move it, but her car wouldn't start again.  We ended up using my car's battery (it wouldn't turn over and we couldn't even jump it because of awkward garage spacing) to move it over.  I noticed that her emergency lights would be blinking even after the keys were out until my battery was disconnected.  I think this also happened when she replaced her battery in April which resulted in her very very dead battery.

Do any of you guys know why that would happen?  Is there any hope for this poor Subaru?