Author Topic: Olympics  (Read 18401 times)

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
Olympics
« on: August 08, 2008, 08:23:42 PM »
I think we need them more often. I'm always impressed watching the opening ceremonies. It sort of gives us a break from all the war and crap that goes on in the world and brings everybody together as sort of a time out and makes you realize that we actually could all get along and that we all share quite a bit in common.

Oh, and "Go America!!!!"
This signature intentionally left blank.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
Re: Olympics
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 08:25:41 PM »
bah it was better when you got two every four years instead of 1 every other year.  I missed the opening but they are reshowing it and I have the DVR setup to record all of the olympics shows.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 11:14:10 PM »
i dont think i have ever watched/followed/cared about them at all
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 12:36:50 AM »
I haven't watched the openning yet -0 recorded for the morning, but I'm pumped.  I love the Olympics.  I always try to find some "different " sport to get into.  Last time it was curling...I always thought it seemed rediculous, but after watchign a couple matches, I loved it.  WSo much suspense.  I think I'm going to check out the Modern Pentagathon this year...
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 01:59:33 PM »
Watched the Opening Ceremony and I found it mighty impressive.  I was actually glad for the commentators as the provided an explaination of the symbolism.  I was really glad to see politics being put aside for a night.

I loved the response that the directory of the ceremony reportedly gave when asked about the number of performers (20k), "Well we got the people".  The secret behind the moving printing blocks was just amazing.

Good show and it makes me look forward to watching some of the events.

Only negative:  Kobe was there...

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 05:54:41 PM »
Yep... an amazing opening ceremony. :dblthumb2:

I'm recording pretty much all the coverage I can. I love random sports. Great badminton match earlier today.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2008, 06:30:56 PM »
I didn't see the ceremony :( we went to a wedding yesterday and didn't even make it for the midnight rerun :( anyone know if it is available on the net somewhere?

I saw some beach volleyball today and some cycling - but again, US Olympics TV coverage blows...kind of glad that I'll be overseas for half of it. I'll get to see some events that are never shown in the states.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2008, 06:33:22 PM »
It's got to be available on the net... if not from NBC then from some overseas sites.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2008, 06:41:58 PM »
Yep... an amazing opening ceremony. :dblthumb2:

I'm recording pretty much all the coverage I can. I love random sports. Great badminton match earlier today.

Just about every event is availible on the net.  I generally like the NBC coverage, I usually see what I want to on one of the networks.  The net converage so far taht I've seen (obscure events mind you) were sans commentary - that kinda sucked, but they're there....
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2008, 06:57:08 PM »
I didn't see the ceremony :( we went to a wedding yesterday and didn't even make it for the midnight rerun :( anyone know if it is available on the net somewhere?

I saw some beach volleyball today and some cycling - but again, US Olympics TV coverage blows...kind of glad that I'll be overseas for half of it. I'll get to see some events that are never shown in the states.
I think I say like a 2am showing this evening on the listings.  You know that is what they make DVR/VCRs for ;)

Oh and I've just been watching Womens Beach Vollyball and all I can say is  :love:

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2008, 07:02:36 PM »
I'd prefer to watch on my new TV. :)

So far I've seen badminton and handball, fast forwarded through equestrian and cycling, and watched a bit of fencing, swimming, basketball and football. I'd say they are showing a good mix, you just have to have cable and a large hard drive on your dvr.

Oh and axon, I searched real quick and could only find opening ceremony highlights on nbc, but I didn't look too hard.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2008, 11:13:44 PM »
The end of the men's road race was excellent!

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2008, 11:24:02 PM »
So far I've watched a bit of indoor and beach volleyball, fencing, and some gymnastics.  They make me feel kind of lazy.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2008, 11:25:10 PM »
Heh I know what you mean.  Today I road for an hour and 20 minutes and was pushing it and these guys were riding for over 6 hours.  Jebus

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2008, 12:04:37 AM »
Who saw the 4x100 relay for men's swimming tonight?  That was one insane finish.