Author Topic: Superbowl  (Read 12884 times)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
Re: Superbowl
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2010, 08:00:56 PM »
Both games yesterday were good. 65% of my company is in MN - I think they all had to be pretty bummed today, I received only 5 emails. My daily average is 40-50.

I don't like the colts, but I like Manning (yeah, go figure that one out); Saints are playing nice football and they had a fantastic season - I hope they win, but my gut says colts.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2010, 12:17:04 AM »
Yeah there have been a few good ones recently, but overall I think they're usually pretty boring

> just made so many stupid mistakes

If Brett Favre keeps his head out of his ass and runs upfield a few yards and then out of bounds, this thread probably doesn't even exist.

I agree the Viking looked better at times (many times), but it's more than Favre - If Childress had called better plays or done a better job managing the clock, if they hadn't turned it over 5 times, if they'd protected Farve better....Too many if's...you gotta do better than that....
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2010, 01:37:28 AM »
If they'd have won the coin toss?

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2010, 09:15:42 AM »
Overall, the winner of the coin toss only wins the game 60% of the time, which is a lot less than most people seem to think.  However, almost 30% of the time, the coin toss winning team wins the game without the opposing team ever getting the ball.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2010, 09:31:07 AM »
overall the OT rules in football need to change.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2010, 09:51:34 AM »
I think most people agree with that, but no one seems to know of a good way to do it.

I personally enjoy college OT, but I can see how lots of people would hate it

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2010, 10:24:14 AM »
what are they in college?

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2010, 10:28:42 AM »
Team starts at the opponent's 25 and drives from there.  Then, the other team gets a shot.  If it's still tied, you go to another OT.  After 3 OTs, you have to go for 2 after scoring a TD instead of kicking an XP.

It's almost the football equivalent of a shootout, but I think it's entertaining.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2010, 10:36:30 AM »
Team starts at the opponent's 25 and drives from there.  Then, the other team gets a shot.  If it's still tied, you go to another OT.  After 3 OTs, you have to go for 2 after scoring a TD instead of kicking an XP.

It's almost the football equivalent of a shootout, but I think it's entertaining.

If that were to be replicated in pros, I'd like to see it on the 40 instead of the 25 - 25 is just automatic 3 points in pros...

I think this is an interesting idea - needs some tweaking...Basically, the teams would bid where they are wiling to kick off from - whoever bids farthest back kicks off - I assume no onsides kicks allowed:

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/01/25/overtime-kickoff-should-be-auctioned/
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2010, 10:44:30 AM »
Haha, that idea is ridiculous

PJYelton

• Power of Voodoo
  • Jackass In Charge
    • TheRecursiveFractal
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2010, 10:53:14 AM »
Personally I think the best overtime plan would be the first team to score 4 or more points.  If you can't stop the team that won the coin flip from going all the way and scoring a touchdown then you deserve to lose.

Or why not just the simple rule of both teams get at least one possession whether its from a turnover, punt, or kickoff after score?

I don't buy that they can't come up with a good way to do it, they are just afraid of change and it will likely take an overtime Super Bowl before they do anything about it.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2010, 11:46:25 AM »
Overall, the winner of the coin toss only wins the game 60% of the time, which is a lot less than most people seem to think.  However, almost 30% of the time, the coin toss winning team wins the game without the opposing team ever getting the ball.
60% is very statistically significant, and there's no reason luck should give one team a 60% chance at winning.

Or why not just the simple rule of both teams get at least one possession whether its from a turnover, punt, or kickoff after score?
This is the answer. It's easy and fair.

Note that I like the college overtime rules, but I don't like them for the NFL. Too gimmicky.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2010, 12:02:16 PM »
I wouldn't mind if the NFL changed the rules to allow for a regular kick-off after a OT score giving the other team the ball for one possession.  If they lose possession, fail to score or score less than the other team they then lose the game.  If they score but the result is still a tie, they then kick off back to the other tea and this continues until one team loses possession or fails to score.

I think some clutch kickers might not like the idea (as coaches might be more inclined to go for 6 instead of the easy FG) but that would add a bit more excitement to the game I think.

There would probably have to be a few extra rules though, like no on-side kicks.  Or maybe not, as those are risky and can give the other team the ball back with good field position.   :dunno:
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2010, 01:05:50 PM »
Possession is a specific thing (I think) in football. When the opening OT kickoff is caught by the receiving team, that team has possession. If they fumble and the kicking team recovers, then both teams have had one possession and the game continues in sudden death mode. If the kicking team does an onside kick and recovers it, then they have possession but the receiving team never had possession, so they would still be guaranteed one possession later in the OT.

The team with the first possession attempts to score as normal. Regardless of the outcome of their possession, the other team is guaranteed their own first possession. So if the first team scores, they have to kickoff, otherwise the second team would get the ball through a punt or turnover.
Once the other team gets the ball in one of those ways, then that marks the start of their first possession. Play continues until the end of their first possession. If at that point the score is not tied, then the game is over. If it is tied, the game continues with sudden death.

To recap, if the first team with possession doesn't score, play continues with sudden death. If they do, then the second team is guaranteed at least one possession, and after that play continues with sudden death.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2010, 01:17:46 PM »
60% is very statistically significant, and there's no reason luck should give one team a 60% chance at winning.
I didn't say it wasn't.  Lots of people seem to this that it's closer to 85 or 90% though.  If they want to keep it the way it is (mostly), move the kick back to 35, as it was originally.  The coin toss winning team only won 52% of those games.