Author Topic: Superbowl  (Read 12882 times)

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
Re: Superbowl
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2010, 01:23:52 PM »
60% is very statistically significant, and there's no reason luck should give one team a 60% chance at winning.
I didn't say it wasn't.  Lots of people seem to this that it's closer to 85 or 90% though.  If they want to keep it the way it is (mostly), move the kick back to 35, as it was originally.  The coin toss winning team only won 52% of those games.

I'm suspicious of your numbers. I wouldn't mind it if it really did bring it closer to 50-50, but I also like the excitement of the possession solution.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2010, 01:24:29 PM »
I'm just pulling the numbers from here: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_percent_of_teams_that_win_the_coin_toss_win_in_overtime_in_the_NFL

edit: And yeah, there is definitely a definition of what constitutes "possession".  Think about what happens if there's a turnover, but the original offensive team gets the ball back somehow in the same play (the thing that keeps springing to mind is the one play in the 2003 Fiesta Bowl with Maurice Clarett).  It's marked as first down for the original team, regardless of where the ball ended up, so there must be a definition of what "possession" is.

Also with your solution charlie, why wouldn't you just do it like college if you're going to do it that way?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 01:31:30 PM by Govtcheez »

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2010, 01:30:11 PM »
Ok. I wonder if it was that rule change that specifically made the difference, or changes in the style of football being played. Either way, though, I guess my previous comment still stands.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2010, 01:32:46 PM »
I don't think the style of football has evolved that much since then, but I really doubt that extra 5 yards accounts for all that much difference on its own.  It's probably a combination of things

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2010, 10:40:31 AM »
I would think part of it is pure physical strength increases over the years.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2010, 10:50:33 AM »
Maybe from the 50s until now, but I don't think numbers would back up that it's changed from the mid 90s to now.  Physical strength wouldn't just increase on one side of the ball, either.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2010, 12:03:47 PM »
I've always wondered why they just don't play another full quarter?  Why have overly complex rules?

JaWiB

• definitelys definately no MacGyver
  • Jackass V
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2010, 12:15:38 PM »
The players get tired and there would be more injuries.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2010, 12:45:00 PM »
Also I hope Favre comes back next year for the Vikings - he's very obviously still got the talent to do it, and they've got a lot of young skill players to work with.  I also hope he makes this decision basically immediately so we don't have to hear this "will he won't he" bullshit until the preseason starts again

He already knows he isn't going to retire. The truth is Favre is a great player and always has been, but ou didn't hear about him to this level pre retirement. So he retires, he comes back, and he see's the attention and fandominium it generates and he likes it. So by eluding to the idea he may retire then he can keep the favre nuts going at the end of every season, keeping himself on top, in the light, and marketable.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2010, 01:09:50 PM »
The players get tired and there would be more injuries.

I don't know if that's good justification. Hockey games can go into 3, 4, or even 5 overtime periods during the playoffs and they do just fine. That's like playing two consecutive games with no break!

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2010, 01:24:04 PM »
I love hockey, but football is a much more violent game and that would be my only major concern if they continued to play a full OT quarter or something.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2010, 01:37:04 PM »
I love hockey, but football is a much more violent game and that would be my only major concern if they continued to play a full OT quarter or something.

dude...i know it isnt the same, but i played football all the way up until i graduated highschool, and i used to play street hockey. Not a week ago i was over near Griffen playing ice hockey for the first time and god damn. Football is so not as violent as hockey, not even close. Even pickup street hockey games get more out of control. You can barely even tackle in the NFL
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2010, 01:42:28 PM »
The players are much bigger and stronger in football and most positions get hit far more often.  Hockey players move faster, but they aren't allowed to drive into someone the way you can in football.  Just compare injuries between the sports and it should be pretty obvious

I played plenty of street hockey when I was younger and even supposedly non-contact flag football was more violent than that.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2010, 01:46:57 PM »
I cant find anyone in MI to play hockey with who isn't completely fucking insane.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2010, 01:50:19 PM »
That's because you live in GR and also you are looking for hockey players.  Both those categories of people are crazy