Author Topic: Covid-19 mental health check-in  (Read 20384 times)

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
Re: Covid-19 mental health check-in
« Reply #105 on: May 17, 2020, 05:10:25 PM »
Work sent some updates that they would normally present at the end-of-year all-staff meeting and one of them was budget/fiscal.

So our COO/CFO has been banging the recession drum for a few years and made sure we were prepared for it.  We have about a 6-month fund balance that should help cushion most of it.  The real big question is how much is the state going to cut the per student funding.  But, based on their estimates and plans to increase the number of students we serve we are looking at a 0.5% decrease in revenue.

Our superintendent and the COO both reiterated that lay-offs and furloughs were the last resort.  We're gonna follow the same basic game plan as the 2008/9 recession where they didn't need to do that.

So, looking at a stable job next year and hopefully the year after.  Year 3 is where things get fuzzy depending on the state's budget.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #106 on: May 18, 2020, 10:55:43 AM »
Jen, your job sounds like constant pressure.  I hope there is light at the end of the tunnel or you consider looking elsewhere at some point in the future if that's not the case.

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #107 on: May 18, 2020, 11:19:43 AM »
Jen, your job sounds like constant pressure.  I hope there is light at the end of the tunnel or you consider looking elsewhere at some point in the future if that's not the case.
The current state of healthcare, I'm afraid. All my friends in our current field are working very long hours and are under a lot of stress being the bleeding edge of COVID response. There's a silent understanding that while the amount of work and availability might not be permanent change, the level of response in relation to COVID is going to be around for a very very long time.

And I did look elsewhere and used that as a counter in the beginning of the year. (Ultimately, I had little hope that that position would have been lower stress though)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #108 on: May 18, 2020, 11:33:28 AM »
Well I'm sorry to hear that.  I hope it does improve in some way.

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #109 on: May 20, 2020, 09:48:23 AM »
Guys, I really thought I had a stressful Friday.

But I had an even more stressful Tuesday. Two bombshell issues arose related to CoV-2 testing. Both things could have theoretically been avoided and tangentially my own fault but required an extra level of checking that I just simply couldn't accomplish going live with these projects all right after each other. Everything is fixed now but this really just piled on a lot of stress.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #110 on: May 20, 2020, 10:03:41 AM »
Sorry to hear that Jen.  I hope you can get a chance to destress soon.  Just remember that mistakes while moving fast and stress are perfectly normal and should be expected.  IMO, it doesn't reflect on you or your professionalism.

And if it makes you feel better, we weren't stressed and we totally overlooked an issue during the entire 18 months of development and several months of cutover planning.  So, please give yourself some grace.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #111 on: May 20, 2020, 02:32:54 PM »
Yup.  Mistakes happen unless you have a massive team around you that is able to bring different perspectives and ask ALL the right questions.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #112 on: June 15, 2020, 03:33:01 PM »
We decided to keep our vacation date for the first full week of June - we're going to Florida. Can't wait.

Are you flying?

nope, driving. Pan Handle - town is called seaside.

We are renting a house and we're going with my best friend's family...there was a significant down payment which we committed before the covid outbreak. They are giving us an option to reschedule for next year, but they will not give us our money back. After weighing it all out, we think risk is not any higher than staying in Chicago. All we'll be doing is lounging on the beach anyway.

I'd tend to agree with this... unless there's an outbreak near where you're going, I think a trip by car is fine. Just don't eat in restaurants, always get take out. This doesn't seem any riskier than all the stuff you were already doing at the cabin.

vacation was fine. Florida, and actually everywhere else we stopped along the way, seems like business as usual. There was one town is Florida (seaside) which required masks in the "downtown" area - everywhere else was a free for all. We'll see what happens in the next couple of weeks :o

vacation was good - even though we couldn't swim in the ocean for the majority of it because of Cristobal.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #113 on: June 16, 2020, 08:59:19 PM »
Florida, and actually everywhere else we stopped along the way, seems like business as usual.

Yeah, this does not seem good. Lots of places starting to see big rises.

Do you wear masks when you go inside to stores and places like that? You probably always should but especially now that you just got back from all that extra potential exposure.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #114 on: June 16, 2020, 11:08:05 PM »
Florida, and actually everywhere else we stopped along the way, seems like business as usual.

Yeah, this does not seem good. Lots of places starting to see big rises.

Do you wear masks when you go inside to stores and places like that? You probably always should but especially now that you just got back from all that extra potential exposure.

yes, Illinois still has mandatory face masks in stores.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #115 on: July 24, 2020, 01:03:25 PM »
Nearly 6mo into this thing and it's finally dragging on me. I'm generally an introvert and like to stay at home most of the time but even this is getting a bit much for me. I had a one-on-one with our CEO who just wanted to check in on everyone and mentioned that and he made a good comment. Introverts recharge their batteries alone but now the battery is fully charged and there's nothing to do with it which is kind of on point. My wife and I have been seeing people finally but we're doing a two week rotation where we socialize but then stay home for two weeks before visiting somebody else. I finally went out and played pinball too and it's a bit odd.

I'm tired of this and I know lots of other people are too. The depression level has definitely increased as I find myself lacking motivation for a lot of things and find myself just wanting to take a nap since there's "nothing to do" even with a house full of stuff to do. While definitely a situational depression due to the pandemic, it doesn't help that I'm pretty sure it's still going to be months before we get back to any sort of real normal.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #116 on: July 24, 2020, 01:27:36 PM »
I feel ya.  I'm a major introvert but I miss actually seeing people.  I'm also completely Zoomed out.  Video chats for everything fucking sucks.  The work people aren't too bad but the church people are just terrible at using it.

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #117 on: July 24, 2020, 04:31:13 PM »
I feel ya.  I'm a major introvert but I miss actually seeing people.  I'm also completely Zoomed out.  Video chats for everything fucking sucks.  The work people aren't too bad but the church people are just terrible at using it.
Please do not get me started on how terrible our livestream services were when we first started. We eventually convinced them to move to a pre-produced service with a monthly Zoom which generally seems to be working better. When we go back to "in-person" with livestream we'll hopefully have a more robust solution.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #118 on: July 24, 2020, 05:22:36 PM »
I've had to abandon the zoom service for the FB live stream as I kept getting major stuttering with Zoom.  It isn't the same as in person by any means but what I was actually referring to was committee meetings.  People just don't know how to have meetings in that space.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #119 on: July 26, 2020, 12:49:06 PM »
Got back from Ocean City, MD on Friday night; while we there there, Connecticut added Maryland to the list of "mandatory quarantine" states for traveling into CT from.  So... yeah, I was good about not doing much before, other than getting take out and the grocery store... but now its like a big deal and I shouldn't even do that.  Not to mention my kids can't meet up for play dates or anything for a couple weeks.  Super lame.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."