Author Topic: feta meatloaf  (Read 7353 times)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
feta meatloaf
« on: October 30, 2011, 10:33:38 AM »
Made a badass meatloaf last week.

2.5lbs of 90%lean ground beef
1 bunch of green onion (chopped)
half cup of crumbled feta cheese (the kind you would put on a salad)
2 cups of french bread - soaked in water; drained
2 tbl spoons of spicy mustard (I use this one. if you've never had it, get it.)
2 tbl spoons of tomato paste (again I use a polish product)
2 eggs
spices to taste - I use salt, pepper, dry basil leaves, hot paprika, garlic and herbs (mix I pick up at costco)

mix everything together real well in a large bowl. I have a nice glass dish I use for meatloaf. 300 degrees oven. about an hour - use the toothpick test for readiness.

It came out great. The feta thing was spontaneous, but it worked! It really makes a difference. The french bread keeps the meat moist - even when reheating.

We ate it with mashed potatoes and creamy tomato sauce. My kids loved it.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

drakkenkorin

• Jackass VI
    • http://www.google.com
Re: feta meatloaf
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 08:58:59 PM »
>>2 cups of french bread - soaked in water; drained<<

I'm imagining this is crumbled, cubed, diced or something.

May have to try halving it. . .
"I know that when I get home from work, I like to read the paper, sip a nice glass of Cabernet, and call people faggots on the internet.  Because I'm an adult." - Govtcheez

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 09:32:10 PM »
I think that is the spicy mustard my grand mom always uses. It looks like it, and she is Polish through and through.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 10:30:49 PM »
>>2 cups of french bread - soaked in water; drained<<

I'm imagining this is crumbled, cubed, diced or something.

May have to try halving it. . .

really coursly diced.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 10:32:29 PM »
I was gonna make a turkeyloaf for thanksgiving, but this sounds
more delicious.

go for it!

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 12:51:52 AM »
I set out to do this today. Mixed everything minus the french bread and tomato paste (with an addition of Johnny's Hot Marinade which is by far the best sauce ever made and I am so happy it is back at costco) - I wrapped it in some wax paper and wanted to throw it on the grill for some indirect cooking - but I didn't have enough time, so I cut the uncooked loaf into perfect size patties and boy are they good! I'll have a good two/three lunches out of it....mmmmmmm

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 12:52:14 AM »
btw, used green onion from our garden :)

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 12:58:14 AM »
How is your garden doing? My tomatoes are friggen huge, and the squash is attempting to overtake the entire garden. Everything else is doing well, strawberries are slow this year. To my shock the small rose bushes i planted for her are taking off like weeds
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 01:18:53 AM »
tomatoes are about two feet tall now. We have 12 plants, but only one has a single fruit on it. I will not be expecting any fruit until about a month from now though.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 04:04:22 AM »
tomatoes are about two feet tall now. We have 12 plants, but only one has a single fruit on it. I will not be expecting any fruit until about a month from now though.

Sounds like we are along the same. One strawberry plant is doing well and popped out a little one. The other two have not even really launched. The watermelon plants are HUGE but still no start of fruit. None of them are really putting anything out, but the plants themselves are growing well.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 07:17:01 AM »
> the squash is attempting to overtake the entire garden

When we planted squash a few years ago it did the same thing.  You have to cut it back

This recipe looks pretty nice and I'm not a meatloaf guy at all

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 08:24:40 AM »
> the squash is attempting to overtake the entire garden

When we planted squash a few years ago it did the same thing.  You have to cut it back

This recipe looks pretty nice and I'm not a meatloaf guy at all

Ashley hates meatloaf, i want to make this so bad. I want one of those amazing meatloaf things. As for the squash year I'm gonna have too, the leaves are bigger than my head.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 09:45:49 AM »
spices to taste

I hate when reciepies say "season to taste."

If I've never made it before, how the heck do I know how much seasoning to use? I could see if its a soup or something and you cook it and then taste it and just add a little more of something -- but how am I supposed to mix up a meatloaf and know how much of whatever to put in it?  :dunno:
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 09:46:46 AM »
take a fistful of the raw beef and shove it in your mouth, duh

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2012, 10:15:27 AM »
spices to taste

I hate when reciepies say "season to taste."

If I've never made it before, how the heck do I know how much seasoning to use? I could see if its a soup or something and you cook it and then taste it and just add a little more of something -- but how am I supposed to mix up a meatloaf and know how much of whatever to put in it?  :dunno:

I'm sure you know what spices you like. Take those, and "season to taste" - that is all. I don't like to say what spices or how much to use because, that might not be something other might not like. Spices are quite personal: some like it hot, some sweet, and some salty...etc. The idea is to understand the concept of spices and using them to meet your tastes. Similar to a programming, in cooking, you should learn the technique, not the recipe.

But, to answer your question - yesterday I used salt, pepper, hot paprika, basil and oregano.