Author Topic: Pulled Pork  (Read 9044 times)

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Re: Pulled Pork
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2012, 10:59:04 PM »
I bought a smoker from Walmart for $40 (it's a charcoal grill also) for a cheap grill and never expected jack from the smoker. But I have used it a few times, and the smoking quality is actually quite good.

Will it compare to a real smoker absolutely not, but for what Rob is doing it will absolutely get it done.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2012, 04:27:16 PM »
my buddy sent this to me today. http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/gas_grill_setup.html

look about a quarter down the page; the author describes smoking techniques with a conventional propane grill. I'll have to give it a shot.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2012, 04:39:54 PM »
texas brisket
http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html
def need to make one this summer, yum!
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2012, 04:58:46 PM »
my buddy sent this to me today. http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/gas_grill_setup.html

look about a quarter down the page; the author describes smoking techniques with a conventional propane grill. I'll have to give it a shot.

I wouldn't expect great results
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2012, 05:02:45 PM »
>>I wouldn't expect great results

looks like it is definately worth a try at the very least. Seems like this guy knows what he is doing.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2012, 05:14:24 PM »
I'm questioning the flavor. A smoked piece of meat gets its flavor from, well the smoke and also from the wood used. In a smoker the smoke carries the flavor of the burn, being charcoal. You typically don't use just the wood but rather water soaked wood placed on the hot coals. To use propane you are relying very heavily on the wood to flavor the meat.

Now to the average person, it will probably pass. But to any fan of smoked meats they will (and possibly even you yourself) expect a certain thing from smoked meat that will be lacking under a gas grill setup.

By all means try it, wood and foil pans are dirt cheap. I'm curious, just unsure.

webwhy

• Jackass IV
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2012, 11:25:46 PM »
texas brisket

oh baby...i just got back from a trip to Austin, and i really want to learn how do to this right.  i've only tried a couple of times, and they both dried out.  It's a lot harder than a pork shoulder.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2012, 06:04:43 AM »
texas brisket

oh baby...i just got back from a trip to Austin, and i really want to learn how do to this right.  i've only tried a couple of times, and they both dried out.  It's a lot harder than a pork shoulder.

Any chance you were there for South by South West?

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2012, 06:45:01 AM »
I love the taste of brisket but every time I get it at a restaurant it ends up cold so fast :(

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2012, 08:08:21 AM »
i don't know if I ever had brisket done quite like the article describes it. I went to a BBQ joint a few weeks ago and it was nothing like it!

I checked at costco yesterday and they have some USDA choice brisket for $3.89/lb - but the smallest one I found was just shy of 10 pounds :D it will be a big party.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2012, 07:12:54 PM »
yes, we grilled today. three slabs. they were awesome

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2012, 07:58:09 AM »
They look pretty damn good jake

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2012, 08:18:40 AM »
They were good. Bones were falling off as I was pulling the slabs from the grill.

webwhy

• Jackass IV
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2012, 10:49:52 AM »
Any chance you were there for South by South West?

Yep

Looks great, Jake!