Author Topic: online backup  (Read 15779 times)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Re: online backup
« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2012, 10:47:52 AM »
Seems to me like you're just picky.  ;)

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2012, 11:03:34 AM »
I like to think I demand excellence.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2012, 11:37:49 AM »
FYI, free year for Carbonite users if you are interested. Crashplan is much more customizable than Carbonite.

http://lifehacker.com/5942227/grab-a-free-year-of-unlimited-backup-from-crashplan?tag=crashplan

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #63 on: September 21, 2012, 11:49:01 AM »
oh that is AWESOME!!!

Note after you enter email you have to hit enter to activate. at least on chrome.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2012, 11:59:37 AM »
If this works out as well as the software would indicate I'm going to be a very happy man. I'm up and running on my 1 year, just had to enter the key from my email.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #65 on: September 22, 2012, 06:07:30 PM »
FYI, free year for Carbonite users if you are interested. Crashplan is much more customizable than Carbonite.

http://lifehacker.com/5942227/grab-a-free-year-of-unlimited-backup-from-crashplan?tag=crashplan

Given my annoying track record of being let down by these services I'm trying not to get my hopes up BUT thus far CrashPlan is pretty damn good.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #66 on: September 30, 2012, 11:28:12 PM »
Crashplan is pretty damn awesome. Only downfall is you can't (apparently) restore individual files or folders because you can't navigate them. You can only restore them all at once, for example after a format, which is fine. You can get individual files via the Android app.

One thing does concern me though. I read a thread on CP support website where a girl complained that she formatted her computer, and then when she went to restore from CP she learned that the restore system ignores anything in the backup that does not exist on the computer in regards to structure.

So for example I have my music as

My Music
/artist
/artist
/artist

and so on. According to her complaint she would need to go into her new My Music folder on the clean install and create a new folder for every single artist match the names found on the cloud. If that is the case then holy shit, that's a problem. Crashplan did not appear to refute it.

What an oversight that would be.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #67 on: October 01, 2012, 06:07:45 AM »
I'd say.  Fail.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #68 on: October 01, 2012, 07:04:59 AM »
I'd say.  Fail.

If its true total fail. Ik waiting on an official answer.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2012, 09:09:03 AM »
Crashplan is pretty damn awesome. Only downfall is you can't (apparently) restore individual files or folders because you can't navigate them. You can only restore them all at once, for example after a format, which is fine. You can get individual files via the Android app.

One thing does concern me though. I read a thread on CP support website where a girl complained that she formatted her computer, and then when she went to restore from CP she learned that the restore system ignores anything in the backup that does not exist on the computer in regards to structure.

So for example I have my music as

My Music
/artist
/artist
/artist

and so on. According to her complaint she would need to go into her new My Music folder on the clean install and create a new folder for every single artist match the names found on the cloud. If that is the case then holy shit, that's a problem. Crashplan did not appear to refute it.

What an oversight that would be.

This information is not correct. I am restoring right now and it takes the folders you select from the cloud and creates them on the desktop, and then you can move them anywhere you like. Filestructure is in tact.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2012, 10:28:05 AM »
in deed   :thumbsup:

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2012, 08:40:21 PM »
Crash plan, 10/10

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #72 on: October 28, 2012, 03:00:33 PM »
OK so after using Crashplan on three computers and actually putting it to the test it gets my vote hands down, no question. The free year is a major plus, the software is fast and stable, and it just plain works. There is a learning curve to understanding how it all needs to be set up but once you get it down it is simple.