Author Topic: Windows 8  (Read 6630 times)

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Re: Windows 8
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2012, 02:56:11 PM »
Also I really like not needing Widgets on my desktop. The start menu has "cubes" that have sports tickers, news, and a GREAT weather setup.

Finding the way to launch applications can be irritating. It's not a typical Windows enviorment, but it's a step the right direction.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2012, 06:40:08 PM »
This may be on Chrome but if you launch Chrome when looking at the desktop, and then click chrome inside the start "menu", it launches two instances that don't seem to communicate with each other.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2012, 09:38:44 AM »
I like it enough that my laptop is now running solely on Windows 8, and coming from me that should be a hefty statement. Now that said the biggest irritant to me so far? The difficulty of shutting the machine off. There is no power button or shutdown options that I can find. The only way I know to turn it off is to hit start, then on the new interface click your name, then hit logout. Then click the screen, then go to the power button there.

Edit: I'm an idiot. Right pop-out -> Settings Wheel -> Power button
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 10:33:16 AM by Steve »

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2012, 12:33:36 PM »
I like it enough that my laptop is now running solely on Windows 8, and coming from me that should be a hefty statement. Now that said the biggest irritant to me so far? The difficulty of shutting the machine off. There is no power button or shutdown options that I can find. The only way I know to turn it off is to hit start, then on the new interface click your name, then hit logout. Then click the screen, then go to the power button there.

Edit: I'm an idiot. Right pop-out -> Settings Wheel -> Power button

Is this running on a netbook? I am considering trying to install it on my netbook to see what its like (I have an outdated Ubuntu version that needs upgrading anyway). My netbook just barely meets the minimum specs though.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2012, 01:08:59 PM »
It's on my high end laptop. What specs are your netbook? Ashleys is a decent grade netbook running on 7 and i would see it having no issues with 8.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2012, 01:32:44 PM »
1Ghz processor, 1GB RAM, lots of HD space.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2012, 03:17:39 PM »
1Ghz processor, 1GB RAM, lots of HD space.

Thats really not far under hers, she has more ram. I can toss it on hers and let u know what i think if u want. Imo anything that can run Vista should easily run 8. It seems very smooth and streamlined.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2012, 09:23:18 AM »
Ashleys Netbook runs it great. 2GHZ/2GB Ram/250GB hdd

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2012, 09:40:20 AM »
I'm going to make an effort to write a full review today because quite frankly, Windows 8 fucking rocks. If they could embrace and integrate the open source world Windows 8 would chop off many heads of Linux. I have been on Linux for years now and let down by every OS since XP in one way or another.

Windows 8 is right on the money. It works, it works great. The new interface is incredible. It doesn't bug me every five minutes. It just plain works.