Author Topic: blog software  (Read 3233 times)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
blog software
« on: February 08, 2009, 08:33:04 PM »
what do you guys recommend?

I am looking for something that I can incorporate into my own website - I would prefer not to use a blogging service...unless I can customize the look to fit my site, and perhaps point a subdomain to it :dunno:

what are your experiences?
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
Re: blog software
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 08:49:24 PM »
https://www.blogger.com/start  this actually looks pretty good.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 09:45:19 PM »
I've played around with wordpress.  http://wordpress.org/

I'm not sure how it compares though.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 10:19:29 PM »
thanks jen, that looks really great.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 10:35:46 PM »
I'm currently using Wordpress for my personal site.
This signature intentionally left blank.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 08:28:00 AM »
I know a lot of people like wordpress.  I have a guy that uses it for all of his designs.  The backend basically works like a complete CMS.

Ethic used this: http://www.movabletype.com/

He would probably give you a mixed review, but I think it served his purpose.  He just wanted to do more with the site.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 09:18:22 AM »
I don't blog - but I wouldn't completely discount a blogging service off the bat.  It depends on your purpose and if you have an established audience.

The key to a lot of those services is that people can easily find you and you can network with other blogs, thus increasing your readership fairly rapidly.

Where as with a stand-alone site, if you don't already have a flowing you need to focus on advertising and really getting you name out there (so to speak).

My personal website used to be where I stored photo's, wrote about my life and kept updates on what was new. Only my closest friends and family would check it - and only on an irregular basis.   But now, between sites like flickr, twitters, facebook etc, my personal site is all but obsolete but I'm more connected with people then ever.

Just a thought.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 12:06:39 PM »
I've used wordpress.com, which is a free hosted version of the wordpress.org software. (They have paid packages if you want more resources IIRC). It was pretty good.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 04:19:47 PM »
I liked blogger but these days I suggest wordpress.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 04:34:54 PM »
After researching it a little, I really like wordpress - in the long run that is exactly what I am looking for, but micah has a point though. I think when using a service, you can get much more exposure - for free. You might be limited in what you can do with a blog, but the exposure outweighs those aspects.