Author Topic: Aikido  (Read 5575 times)

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
Re: Aikido
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2011, 03:00:58 PM »
If you take aikidio or karate or whatever at your local dojo/Y, do you actually focus on spirituality in a real way or is it just window dressing or ignored altogether?
Who was this addressed to (or was it just a general question)?

Different people (and different systems) place different emphasis on the spirituality.  When I did TKD there was little emphasis on it.  In my short time with Aikido I've seen a lot of it.  I spoke with a few people who have trained in other dojos and they placed a different amount of emphasis on it.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2011, 03:01:30 PM »
Just in general

I ask because I assume it'd be important to the instructors but 90% of the students wouldn't give a shit

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2011, 03:35:42 PM »
It really depends on the instructor.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2011, 03:37:40 PM »
If you take aikidio or karate or whatever at your local dojo/Y, do you actually focus on spirituality in a real way or is it just window dressing or ignored altogether?

Really depends on the instructor. Some completely ignore the culture around the martial art and just train to fight. Others really embrace it. I think the best clubs are an even blend of both.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2011, 11:38:35 AM »
So my side was feeling a lot better (like just a small twinge of pain when pressed just right) so I decided to resume rolling but paying attention to how it felt and stopping if I felt any pain.  Was careful, didn't do front rolls since I hadn't practiced them, back rolls I took only to the shoulder and didn't go over (so more back rock than back roll), and only did side rolls fully.  And now my fucking side hurts almost as bad as it did 3 weeks ago.

I doubt the doc's office is open today so tomorrow I get to play the "how long do I have to wait to get an appointment" game.  Then I need to see if it could be technique related which should be interesting because the doc probably doesn't know how the rolls are done to know if it could tweak the muscle and the sensi isn't a physiologist to know if the roll could tweak the muscle.

Really, the annoying part is just having to deal with figuring out what is going on.  Having the training interrupted sucks but isn't a terribly big thing.

IRT the spirituality thing:  On Thursday we were to have a beginner's class with one of the sensis (she is co-owner of the dojo along with her husband who is head sensi) but she wasn't feeling well.  Before class she gathered us around to explain what was going on and basically said that the mood she was in would be reflected in how she lead the class and we would get that same energy.  So after not being able to find any black belts who could fill in we were lead by one of the elder non-black belt students.  Since he didn't have much training on leading and setting the correct spiritual environment we skipped that part of the warm up and ended up doing a rather physical class.  We, considering the weather and how many of the class were feeling, a very welcomed thing.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2011, 11:47:49 AM »
You really need to ask your doctor to give you some Biofreeze. You can find it at some health stores too, but usually it has to come from a doctor.

Anyone practising martial arts should have it on hand at all times, it works miracles.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2011, 12:23:42 PM »
You do realize that this isn't some minor muscle sprain?  A cold/heat treatment hasn't worked (tried that long before going to the doc).  My other muscle aches are handled with simple care (stretching afterwards, hot shower/bath, heating pad if bad).

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2011, 02:24:30 PM »
Yea i understand, and i'm not saying it is a fix but biofreeze helps so so much

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2011, 10:43:33 PM »
Well this poses a dilemma.  Before class I spoke to two of the instructors (the two that regularly teach the beginner class) about the injury and asked if poor rolling technique could have caused it.  There was some concern that it very well could.

I think I'll still go back to the doc and make sure there isn't a bigger issue.  I will probably have to schedule a private lesson to work on the rolls if the data points to technique.  I simply can't do 2/3 classes of rolls and then 3 weeks off over and over.  For one I'll never actually get the technique as there is too much down time.  Also need to see if the doc thinks this is a pain I can just push through.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2011, 10:46:09 PM »
Forgot to mention:  In a bit of a twist today's class was suppose to be a roll-focused class but when the instructor asked how we were feeling (before class) he got a feeling that a bunch of rolling wasn't going to be a good thing for the class.  So he decided to kill our legs the first half and then work on focused hand work the second half.  Was a good class.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2011, 11:05:51 PM »
Today's class was a ton of fun.  After warm-up we started with a technique where the ending just blending in with the beginning of the next side (Most Aikido techniques are done in sets of four alternating sides before alternating roles).  By the end of that practice we were sweating hard and getting kind of dizzy (lots of turns).

Saturday's class was cool as we basically just focused on one technique.  We did the overall technique then went in and refined each part of it.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2011, 02:17:18 PM »
Getting up to go to the Wed morning class can be brutal.  The only way I made it there (vs going back to bed) was to just not think about it and not give myself a choice.