Author Topic: atv  (Read 2565 times)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
atv
« on: March 16, 2012, 05:41:51 PM »
got this bad boy for the boy today: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001SEQQB4/ref=pe_124870_23025210_pe_epc_dt1

there are several others in that price range, but this one had really good reviews. He has a smaller one which he outgrew probably at the end of last year plus my daughter took it over :) we're stripping the buzz lightyear stickers and putting some more girl friendly ones over the weekend for her.

Hopefully this new one will last him until he is at least four...
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Re: atv
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 06:26:34 PM »
At (or by) four he should be on a restricted 50cc. For youth you really need to go Suzuki. They are the most reliable in the youth atv market, and they hold their value well.

Do you ride Jake? If you intend to get him into the sport, and you are new to it, you should invest this spring in an ATV for yourself and take some safety courses. I mean you can jump right on one with a helmet and do just fine, but there are key fundamentals that teaching young riders is great because those fundamentals stick. For example, getting your body shifted into a turn and getting your weight over the gas tank.

Wish you were closer, I'd love to get out in the woods. I was going to go pick up my bike today from my mom's and hit the trails, but I got side tracked.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 10:28:18 AM »
we can't really afford an ATV right now. We'll probably get one once we're done paying for the magnum.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 01:17:36 PM »
Let me know when it comes around. I can help you figure out what brand/size/model suits your needs/wants and tell you if the price is shit or not.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 02:19:09 PM »
I know what I want. thanks though.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 05:03:43 PM »
NP

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 09:42:48 PM »

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 09:43:31 PM »
in my first post I said I got it - actually its a gift from the gparents

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 10:57:51 AM »
Awesome! I spend a lot of time riding dirt bikes as a kid, loved it.

Even though there's little risk of injury on such a small machine, it's probably a good idea to get him used to wearing a helmet when riding. /2cents

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 11:30:14 AM »
That's awesome Jake.  My wife picked up a jeep/hummer thing like that last year for the kids.  They love it but I think I'm going to have to buy a new battery for it.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 01:45:58 PM »
>>it's probably a good idea to get him used to wearing a helmet when riding. /2cents

you're completely right. Frankly I forgot - and we were both excited about riding it :o we got to the point where he will not get on his bike without a helmet. BTW, as soon as I posted the pic on FB his godmother was blowing up my phone about the helmet
:D

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 01:47:39 PM »
>>My wife picked up a jeep/hummer thing like that last year for the kids

we were looking at that too since it can sit two but ended up getting the atv based on the reviews and crap.

>>They love it but I think I'm going to have to buy a new battery for it.

the directions for the atv said the battery has to initially charge for AT LEAST 18 hours - which was a bummer but we did it. Hopefully it will alst at least two seasons.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 01:52:47 PM »
Well, we got ours at a kids resale thing.  So it's not like we were being picky. 

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2012, 04:46:29 PM »
As an adult, I strongly believe in the legal freedom for a person to decide to not wear a helmet if they choose. But for kids ya, they have to be drilled to learn to wear it. This is more so if you plan to keep him on an ATV. It can be difficult to wear a full face MX helmet on an atv because of the visibility lost in many of the positions you need to take advantage of to properly manipulate the quad. That said if you get used to just wearing googles, it can be a daunting task to adjust to a helmet.

I haven't worn one in about five years with the exception of freestyle, because of the heights involved. Since Keira was born I have been out twice both with a helmet and I almost took it off.