Author Topic: 90,000 miles  (Read 2273 times)

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
90,000 miles
« on: March 08, 2011, 03:28:24 PM »
We had the Lexus serviced today under the 90K service.

90k service, includes:
- oil change and tire rotation
- new air filter
- new timing belt and tensioner
- new power steering belt and alternator belt
- new water pump
- new thermostat
- new platinum spark plugs
- flush and replace the following systems:  coolant, transmission fluid, and brake fluid
-new battery
-new fuel filter
-brake inspection (I requested this.  It was at no additional cost.)

We are still on our original tires and brake pads both of which are doing very well.  The car is paid off along with the VW in and about August - October area.  New tires were on it when we purchased it three or so years ago.

Anybody else maintain their cars to spec?

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
Re: 90,000 miles
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 03:32:47 PM »
no :(
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 03:40:10 PM »
Anybody else maintain their cars to spec?

For big maintenance yeah.  Some of the oil changes go a little longer than they are suppose to.  Which reminds me....

webwhy

• Jackass IV
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 03:53:08 PM »
yes

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 03:57:30 PM »
FWIW modern day oils are pretty tough.  The more cylinders you have the longer the oil will generally last.  For a Volvo car, the standard oil change interval is 7,500 miles.  For a VW using VW spec synthetic oil the change interval is 10K miles.  If you aren't running a high revving 4-cylinder turbo changing the oil at less than 5000 miles is nuts, unless otherwise stipulated by your warranty. 

We change the oil on the VW at 10K miles.  Her drive is 99% highway, she uses VW spec synthetic oil, and VW spec oil filters.  Change fuel filters in diesels every 20K.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 04:15:31 PM »
FWIW modern day oils are pretty tough.  The more cylinders you have the longer the oil will generally last.  For a Volvo car, the standard oil change interval is 7,500 miles.  For a VW using VW spec synthetic oil the change interval is 10K miles.  If you aren't running a high revving 4-cylinder turbo changing the oil at less than 5000 miles is nuts, unless otherwise stipulated by your warranty. 

We change the oil on the VW at 10K miles.  Her drive is 99% highway, she uses VW spec synthetic oil, and VW spec oil filters.  Change fuel filters in diesels every 20K.

I don't worry about it right when the indicator comes on.  But right now I do get free oil changes from the dealer so I do try to go in soon after.  Right now the indicator comes on at 3K so I try to get in by at least 6K.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 04:20:43 PM »
I just changed the oil in the Fit for the second time... it was at about 7500 since the last change.  The indicator said it was at 30% as far as oil life.

I try to do the big stuff as well but I don't always get it done.

Sidenote on the oil change: the guy said the Fit is the easiest he's ever changed.  Everything is right there and easy to get to.  Makes me want to go back to changing it myself, if I had an easy way to dispose of the oil.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 06:21:58 PM »
Obes if you are paying to have it done, then switch to Mobil 1 and do it yourself every 10K.  Seriously.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 09:39:40 PM »
Paying anyone to change you're oil is a rip off. Unless you drive a 2000 cavalier 2.2 like my girlfriend because that filter is IMPOSSIBLE to get to. You literally have to unhook engine mounts and jack the motor up. That one goes to the dealer and she doesn't take great care of it (i try).

When it comes to the Jeep nobody puts a wrench near it but me, and I'm anal about maintaining it. Oil is changed with Fram filters and Mobil 1 5w30 every 2,500 miles. This may seem very frequent, but she has 193k on her and if you saw some of the things i do to that thing you would understand. In fact it's due now after only ~500 miles because i sunk it part of the Grand River today up to the hood hahaha.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?