Author Topic: Any skiers here?  (Read 3634 times)

JaWiB

• definitelys definately no MacGyver
  • Jackass V
Any skiers here?
« on: March 24, 2014, 10:23:43 PM »
I went skiing for the first time this year, then 5 more times after that. Now I'm thinking about getting some AT skis and learning to do ski mountaineering. View from last weekend:

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
Re: Any skiers here?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 10:31:31 PM »
We've got "skiers" here:
You know, for their excellecent... skiing.  Just have to make a few stops in Denver.
I totally would. Been a long long long time. Skiing that is.
Never went.... skiiing.  Count me in.  :blaze:
I never went skiing...I'd be in...We're meeting at Jake's place?

Seriously though, I used to go skiing a lot as a kid.  I tried to go after I got out the military but my knee is too jacked up to keep the skis toed properly :(

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 09:52:01 AM »
I skied a lot growing up. Now I try and make one trip per year if I can. We're actually planning on going this weekend. I generally snowboard rather than ski though.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 10:10:30 AM »
I went several times as a kid and never really enjoyed it.  Tried a couple more times as a teenager and still didn't enjoy it.  Now I'm too cheap (read: poor) to try again and don't really have the desire.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 11:00:17 AM »
I could see 3 different ski resorts from my parent's house when I was growing up.  Sadly I never really got into it.  I have skiied probably a half dozen times.  It's fun, but I don't think I'd go somewhere specifically just to ski.  I would like to try snowboarding at some point though.  I did some skateboarding growing up and I imagine it would be somewhat similar but better.

edit: that view is fucking epic!!!!!!!!

JaWiB

• definitelys definately no MacGyver
  • Jackass V
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 11:54:20 AM »
I tried snowboarding a few times previously and it was a nightmare. Could never learn to connect the turns. After one day of skiing I was able to get down runs without falling, and got on some harder trails by the second day.

And Ober: that picture doesn't even do it justice. It was worth going there over a bigger resort just for the view (not to mention 2 for 1 student discount meant lift tickets were only $25!)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 12:51:46 PM »
I can only imagine.  Even the most perfect picture never does a view like that justice.

I've heard similar things about snowboarding but I still want to give it a whirl.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 03:46:20 PM »
Skiing never interested me, same with snowboarding.  Just not me I suppose.

Probably the whole fuck snow thing.   :D

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 03:49:05 PM »
Snow is awesome!!

When you get to visit it and then leave when you get tired of it

Betazep

• Sunk
  • Founders
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2014, 02:31:39 AM »
Snow... kind of like being in prison for several months a year.... a sucky, cold, wet prison.

Yeah.  That sums it up for me.
"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents." -Nathaniel Borenstein

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2014, 08:55:42 AM »
We all bitch about snow, but at least it's mostly gone here now.  We're just under the record of 93" for the area for the season.

On the other hand, my friend that lives in the UP said they've had 292" this winter.  I can't even imagine what that's like, and that's coming from someone who lived there.  She posted this video from one of her runs the other day: http://instagram.com/p/mEGPbSD-3K/
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 09:12:55 AM by Govtcheez »

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2014, 11:08:05 AM »
Went snowboarding over the weekend. Love it. I'd really miss living in a place with no snow.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2014, 12:17:08 PM »
We all bitch about snow, but at least it's mostly gone here now.  We're just under the record of 93" for the area for the season.

I think Chicago got just over 80 inches this year. That is more than we got at the cabin which was around 70. I love winter and snow, but this year it just seems like it was super looooooong (if it is even over yet!). Snow was on the ground since a week before thanksgiving though a couple weeks ago.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2014, 12:18:50 PM »
We had in November and December, but it all melted around Christmas - we were actually at the Lincoln Park Zoo a couple days after Christmas and it was in the 50s.  All the snow we've got now has been since New Years, when we got dumped on with like 8".