Author Topic: Anyone need a programming job?  (Read 3906 times)

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
Re: Anyone need a programming job?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2019, 07:57:13 PM »
is there a relocation allowance?
The high end of that salary would be ok... but adjusting for cost of living difference in california its basically what I make now.  Are there any chances for bonuses, regular raises etc?
seriously considering :)
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2019, 11:48:30 PM »
The high end of that salary would be ok... but adjusting for cost of living difference in california its basically what I make now.  Are there any chances for bonuses, regular raises etc?
I highly doubt there is relocation allowance.

We don't have performance bonuses.  However, the last 3 years we've had a 4% off schedule bonus.  We work on a range and step mechanism.  The range for the position is fixed but the starting step is somewhat negotiable.  From there, every July you increase a step until you cap out (current at step 9).  Each step is 4.5%.

While I don't expect them to do another anytime soon, they've done two salary surveys in the last 5 years that have significantly adjusted the range we are on.

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2019, 03:22:04 PM »

Ooh ooh, did you consider this part?

We have a very generous, competitive benefits package that includes 100% employer-paid Medical/Dental/Vision (single), Retirement (CalPERS), Vacation (10 days), Sick and Holiday - with 2 weeks of paid time off over the holiday season.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2019, 03:45:47 PM »
The number of days off we get for holidays is ridiculous.  I just looked at the calendar and there are 21 paid holidays this fiscal year.  And this year there are two non-work days (essentially a holiday but our pay doesn't change).

Oh, and this is a non-exempt position so overtime pay is a thing.

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2019, 03:58:48 PM »
can you actually use your vacation days?  I find that even with my meager 15-17 PTO days I've had per year over the last 10 years, I end up carrying over or losing (depending on company policy) at least 5 to 10 of them and the days I DO take are generally just ad-hoc days (like a single Friday, or the Tuesday after a Monday holiday).  I've heard stories, especially in the tech industry, of companys with unlimited Vacation time but the workload prevents you from ever using it.  I kinda feel like I'm already in that boat.

I wonder if my girlfriend would move to northern cali?  of course, I'd probably not be able to take my kids. Hmmm
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2019, 04:13:29 PM »
Yes, taking vacation is actually possible.  You are allowed to bank two years worth (so 20 days until you get the bonus vacation days at 10 years) before you stop accruing more days.  If you start getting close to your cap HR will send you and your manager a notice and basically tell you to schedule some vacation.  I haven't heard of anyone actually hitting the cap after they restructured how vacation was given ~8 years ago.

Right now we are the middle of a heavy lift and what we've asked is that people plan their large (multiple days) vacations asap so we have a much notice as possible.

A couple of years ago we did do a vacation blackout for about a month when we did a major system cutover.  Plenty of notice was given and it was limited to those teams that just had to be here to support it.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2019, 05:00:06 PM »
My previous place had unlimited vacation and there were a lot of people that didn't use much.  I usually had to remind people to take vacation.  It wasn't because the workload was necessarily insane (there was pressure but no one was working OT often).  People were just hard workers and didn't really care to take it.  Then of course you get the one guy that abuses it (and eventually got fired over it because he couldn't reign himself in). 

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2019, 07:06:48 PM »
Last day to apply micah!

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2019, 07:17:29 PM »
Last day to apply micah!

ugh, yeah, I don't think I can move right now.  Everything is still so in limbo with the kids and the divorce that hasn't started yet.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2019, 11:48:37 PM »
Just grab the kids and run while she is in FL.  I'm sure it isn't a crime or anything

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2019, 12:29:34 AM »
Just grab the kids and run while she is in FL.  I'm sure it isn't a crime or anything

Hahaha.  Funny you say that, my girlfriend was like, why don't you just pack up you stuff and move out while she's gone?