Author Topic: Coronavirus COVID-19  (Read 65011 times)

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19
« Reply #270 on: July 16, 2020, 12:29:42 AM »
So at the end of the week, I'm taking my kids on a vacation.  My parents rented a 2-bedroom condo in Ocean Beach Maryland and the 5 of us (my parents, me and the girls) are going to stay there 5 nights, after first traveling to my parents house in Pennsylvania for one night before caravaning to the beach.  I agreed to the trip a few weeks back without hesitation because, as stressful as traveling with two crazy kids is, I'm sure I'll enjoy it and I haven't seen my dad since Christmas, and they haven't seen their grandkids in just as long.

But now I'm starting to worry.  I feel like, over the past month, I've been being fairly lax about hand washing diligence and maintaining proper distancing when out. I mean, anytime I have the girls, they don't leave the house (or the car if we run out to get snacks and food).  We always wear our masks but, the cases in Connecticut have greatly declined and are not spiking like they are elsewhere in the country.  In fact, our state has a mandatory 2-week quarantine if you so much as visit one of the nearly 2-dozen states listed and deemed as "hot spots."  So I've kinda let my guard down.

But now we're going to a vacation spot, staying in a condo complex, inevitably being out and about.  Maryland isn't quite a "hot spot" right now (at least, not as determined by Connecticut's standards)... but I'm wary that either the girls or I will greatly increase our chances of carrying the virus back home and, vicariously, passing it along to other loved ones.  Not to mention, staying in PA at my parents the first night - they've been mostly following "the rules" of their state and working from home the past serveral months (as far as I know) but... how can I trust it will be ok?  :dunno:

Maybe I'm just overthinking it.  Its too late to cancel now...and I DO want to go... just, getting some unanticipated anxiety about it all now.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #271 on: July 16, 2020, 01:04:20 AM »
Our governer just had a 30 min press conference tonight to basically tell shitheads to wear masks and that people need to social distance.  Cases are on the rise here and people need to stop being stupid.

Our kids are going to different schools this fall.  One has an 'all in or all out' option (meaning 5 days a week at school or 5 days a week distance learning).  That's for my daughter and I think we're going to have her distance learning at least for the first half of the year (that's when they allow you to switch).  My son's school is doing 2 days a week there and the rest at home OR all distance learning.  I honestly wish they both had a hybrid option.  I think they need it socially.  But we might just have them go virtual until shit calms the hell down.  Haven't fully decided yet.  I think we have until the 23rd.

As for your situation, Micah, I get it.  But I wouldn't go.  Fuck no.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #272 on: July 16, 2020, 02:20:00 AM »
My thoughts on your situation, Micah...

If anybody in the group of 5 has it, then you're very likely going to all have it after this vacation. So the main question is how likely is it that you have it or your parents have it?

It's obviously a little harder to know since your "home unit" is larger than just you and the kids. It kind of spiders out into the lives of people who you don't know much about. Low case counts in Connecticut probably help you here, though. If you're only seeing a handful of cases in your area then you can feel a little more comfortable that the three of you are clean. I'm not sure how you assess your parents.

If and when you decide that you think the risk that any of the 5 of you have it is low enough to allow close contact with your parents, then the next concern is contracting it while on vacation. Does the condo share airflow with other units? I'm not sure how much risk that is but it would be on my mind. Other than that, I think it's just about good habits while you're there the same as it is at home. Don't hang out inside with anybody but the five of you (except for very short time periods to pick up takeout or buy groceries or whatever). Wear a mask at all times when near people, especially indoors.

Going to beach of all things is likely pretty safe. Unless it's severely overcrowded you're not going to get up in people's airspace much and it's usually pretty easy to keep your distance. So at least you have some fun stuff to do that isn't too scary.

Obviously I'm not an expert but bottom line is I'd assess how likely it is that anybody in this new 5-person unit is infected and how much risk you're willing to take in order to get some time with the grandparents. The vacation itself is probably relatively safe.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #273 on: July 16, 2020, 09:03:25 AM »
I've actually heard that the 'not being in people's air space' at the beach isn't exactly safe.  You can still get it if the wind is blowing in your direction and someone 20 feet away sneezes into the wind.  Unlikely, I know.  But 'safe' isn't a word I would use.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #274 on: July 16, 2020, 09:29:01 AM »
In risk management there is no safe only "acceptable level of risk"

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #275 on: July 16, 2020, 09:40:53 AM »
Our school district has not finalized plans yet. They have three working options: 100% elearning, hybrid model, or 100% in person. I would be ok with either option A or C, but probably not B. A neighboring district is implementing B, where kids will be going to school for 3 hours per day only. What a joke. Many parents will not be able to go to work still with that kind of arrangement. Another neighboring district is gearing up for 100% in person.

But with cases going back up, I am anticipating a 100% eLearning option at our schools.

edit: My son was invited into the DTP program - which is like an advanced program for reading and math - for this year. I wonder how that will be handled. He is one of 5 kids at his grade level in this program.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #276 on: July 16, 2020, 10:11:55 AM »
Our school district has not finalized plans yet. They have three working options: 100% elearning, hybrid model, or 100% in person. I would be ok with either option A or C, but probably not B. A neighboring district is implementing B, where kids will be going to school for 3 hours per day only. What a joke. Many parents will not be able to go to work still with that kind of arrangement. Another neighboring district is gearing up for 100% in person.

But with cases going back up, I am anticipating a 100% eLearning option at our schools.

edit: My son was invited into the DTP program - which is like an advanced program for reading and math - for this year. I wonder how that will be handled. He is one of 5 kids at his grade level in this program.

Our province has mandated option B for at least September, followed by each school board making their own decision after. But for option B, attendance is optional, so some kids can choose to be fully remote.

I don't know how teachers can possibly prepare for that. I'm with you, I'll take A or C. B is going to be really hard for teachers and working parents.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #277 on: July 16, 2020, 02:49:14 PM »
But 'safe' isn't a word I would use.

Relatively is doing a lot of work in my sentence...

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #278 on: July 16, 2020, 02:58:30 PM »
Our district is focused on option B. The middle school is actually really just online-only but they will have a setup for kids to come into school to get support from teachers who monitor as they do their online work.

But the high school here (yes I have a kid in high school :v:) is haggling over how to do a hybrid model. They're trying to balance parents who demand social and emotional interaction time for their children, teachers who only have so many hours in a day, safety for all involved, and the needs of the families who have fewer resources to provide home supervision, internet access, etc. Oh, and trying to get something taught. They're also trying to balance that.

I don't have any good answers. I'm certainly lucky in that my kids won't be significantly affected either way, but that's not true for so many others and no matter what decision is made there will be significant sacrifices.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #279 on: July 16, 2020, 08:01:33 PM »
Our district just shared this https://youtu.be/26VOfQAao3k
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #280 on: July 16, 2020, 08:53:48 PM »
so we will have 2 options, either all in person or all remote - see 9:25 of that video. You have to commit to whatever option you chose for the entire year.

There is some challenges with both options, but with the first, there are some unknowns yet 22:15

Overall, I am happy with how the district is treating this. We will most likely opt for the in school option.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #281 on: July 16, 2020, 10:23:55 PM »
Our schools are doing it by the half year.  You get an option to change mid-year so you can start remote and then switch if things improve.  Or start hybrid (2 days a week) and then go full time or whatever.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #282 on: July 17, 2020, 08:02:31 AM »
I hate that our schools haven't announced a plan yet.  Our governor said at the beginning of this week that they will announce "the plan" in a month. a month from now is like 2 weeks before school starts. How can I plan anything?
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #283 on: July 21, 2020, 06:49:39 PM »
Our district is focused on option B. The middle school is actually really just online-only but they will have a setup for kids to come into school to get support from teachers who monitor as they do their online work.

Our district is going online only for the first quarter at least.

Saw something where Florida's governor is being sued for opening schools and California's governor is being sued for closing them. No good answers...

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #284 on: July 28, 2020, 12:14:27 PM »
and just like that, the in person option is off the table in our school district for at least the first 4 weeks. Even though majority of the parents preferred to send kids to school full time, majority of the teachers preferred remote...and here we are. Gotta love last minute changes.