Author Topic: Coronavirus COVID-19  (Read 65090 times)

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19
« Reply #300 on: August 14, 2020, 02:15:07 PM »
Keep an eye on it though. We had a guy at work that seemed like he might have had it but tested negative. The doctor didn't seem to think much of it and mentioned that they've seen about a 30% false negative rate. So it might be wise to get tested again later if you don't feel better in a bit. They think he might have actually had it before though and what he was dealing with may have been lingering side effects.
This signature intentionally left blank.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #301 on: September 07, 2020, 09:08:02 PM »
Just thought I'd update... as posted in a safe-contact thread earlier this week...both my parents have confirmed cases of covid.  From my dads texts, its mostly flu-like symptoms and extreme tiredness and loss of taste and smell but no serious complications (as of yet.)  Fingers crossed for them...and my step-moms parents who are both wicked old.. her dad already looked like Mr Burns so I can't even imagine how he's doing.

Meanwhile, tomorrow is the first day of school.  My kids were issued (really nice) iPads and the first 2 days for them in this "hybrid" model are remote days.  So they'll be in and out of video chats with their class and doing assignments from about 9 to 2 every day with a few small breaks.  Thursdays and Fridays will be in school.  We'll see how it all goes.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #302 on: October 15, 2020, 01:00:56 AM »
So... first, checking back into this thread I hope your parents are healthy and everybody else made it through ok, Micah. (Feel free to safe contact any updates if you prefer to discuss there.)

I just came here to say how annoyed I've been lately seeing how covid prevention strategies have been presented and implemented. It just seems like everywhere I turn there's some city rule or some media story or something that really seems to be missing the point.

I guess I can give some examples...

- Went to Lake Tahoe on vacation and they had picnic tables taped off in an outdoor eating area. Another day-use park was closed. They even had the area where people watch the salmon run closed (although this was supposedly half for covid and half for bears). Why? We should be encouraging people to leisure outside.

- Watched some nightly news shows while at my in-laws house and they were making a big deal about some behaviors that are probably low risk. People gathered at a Trump rally at the white house, many not wearing masks! Oh the horror! :rolleyes: The same news program talked in dire tones about a vaccine trial that was paused because a participant got sick. But that's not bad news at all, that's just normal typical procedure! Why freak people out? (There's a reason I stay away from TV news.) And through the whole program there was no talk about things that people should be worrying about the most - like indoor gatherings - or the less commonly known dangers like being indoors with poor ventilation for long periods of time even if you're socially distanced.

- So much sanitation everywhere. Like, did nobody get the memo that this coronavirus isn't transmitted very often through surfaces? Do we really need to bleach that often? Like, I'm fine with a quick spray of grocery carts but do we really need to sanitize every surface in a school every single night?

- That dumbass plexiglass divider at the VP debate. Seriously? Like droplets in the air can't move around a little divider?

I could go on and on... it's just that so much of this information has been known for months, and nobody seems to be getting it. Why did it take until a week or so ago for the CDC to update their recommendations to include aerosol transmission? Has the WHO done it at all? The CDC's recent updates have been "known" by scientists for months and months!

And what about testing? My wife had diarrhea one day and then a sore throat and headache the next day. Those symptoms in theory could have been from mild COVID-19. We figured she didn't have it because she hadn't done much high risk behavior (check out the https://www.microcovid.org/) but we wanted to test to be sure because we had plans to see family for her birthday. She couldn't get a test! The local hospital (which does not have a ton of cases) said it's probably a viral infection and quarantine for 3 days or something. WTF? I know she probably didn't have it but we should have enough tests to let people with mild or no symptoms check. It's been 7 months since this blew up here.. why can't we just get a test?

I'm still going on and on, I know. But where are the air filters? Why aren't people mass producing them and sending them to schools and essential businesses? I know some places have them (my dentist said he did) so if they're common, why aren't we working to make sure restaurants or other high-risk businesses have access so maybe we could reduce restrictions further?

Where are the N95 valve-less masks? Our regular masks mostly prevent us from giving COVID-19 to other people, but people who work all day indoors could wear an N95 (some places have KN95s for $1 each) and get additional protection for themselves. How many months does it take to ramp up production? Will we get a vaccine before we get better masks widely available?

And we're starting on our third wave nationally... cases and hospitalizations are rising again. WHY?!? Gah it really does make me mad. I know there aren't perfect solutions but we should be doing way better than this.  :mad:

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #303 on: October 15, 2020, 09:11:52 AM »
Yup, totally agree with all of that. 

Another example: our local school is NOT being transparent.  One of the cheerleaders posted on social media in the town and blew up a huge thing saying half the cheer squad had it and the school then sent out calls and emails saying there was 1 confirmed case and 8 others 'under investigation'.  They then went on to say that anyone in the high school (where the confirmed case was) that didn't show up to the single in-school day (Wednesday) would be marked absent DESPITE a potential outbreak.  WTF?  They're not telling anyone about the kids that take the rapid test because that's not 'official' and they wait until the local health board gives them a full test.  WHAT?  It's like they're trying to give it to other people.  I'm so mad at the way they are handling it.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #304 on: October 15, 2020, 10:03:02 AM »
- Went to Lake Tahoe on vacation and they had picnic tables taped off in an outdoor eating area. Another day-use park was closed. They even had the area where people watch the salmon run closed (although this was supposedly half for covid and half for bears). Why? We should be encouraging people to leisure outside.
Yes and no.  Yes you want them to leisure outdoors but you don't want a large group of unrelated people at the same spot.  So, I can see those places that attract lots of people being closed.

- So much sanitation everywhere. Like, did nobody get the memo that this coronavirus isn't transmitted very often through surfaces? Do we really need to bleach that often? Like, I'm fine with a quick spray of grocery carts but do we really need to sanitize every surface in a school every single night?

- That dumbass plexiglass divider at the VP debate. Seriously? Like droplets in the air can't move around a little divider?
Swiss cheese defense.  No one defense is perfect but you can build up a good defense through layers of actions.  A divider isn't going to stop the small droplets that float around but could stop the larger droplets.  Plus, would you really want to be "near" someone that has lots of contact with a super spreader?

What you really seem to be getting at is that people aren't keeping up with the information.  That is something that affects almost every aspect of life.  There are studies showing that doctors still do particular activities that aren't helpful (and sometimes harmful) because that is how they've always done it.  In this case, I think there is a psychological need to appear to be taking COVID seriously and a need to have some measure of control.  So we do things that have minimal impact because that is at least something we can do.

Without getting too political some of those examples show the weakness in federal response and leadership.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #305 on: October 15, 2020, 10:13:07 AM »
Why? We should be encouraging people to leisure outside.

this type of behavior happens all around where we are. Last weekend I wanted to take the family to Morton Arboretum https://www.mortonarb.org/ to spend a couple hours walking and enjoying the fall colors. The place is about 35 minutes away from our house. As we pulled up there was a big "sold out today" sign. WTF. We ignored it and went to the gate anyway - where we were greeted by a guy with a hand held scanner - he asked for a pre paid time pass - again, WTF? so turns out they can only admit a certain number of people and passes are only sold online for a pre determined time slot and they were all sold out for that day. We drove through the half empty parking lot to leave - and instead went for a walk at an awesome forest preserve that literally borders the Arboretum

I'll give two more examples because they are both comical and show how stupid our governments can be: we have been visiting many public out door places this summer since we no longer have our cabin. from county and state parks, to marinas on lake Michigan - almost all places have closed public restrooms due to COVID (per the signs) and in stead they have brought in one or two porta pottys - are you fucking kidding me. At least the bathrooms have running water and soap. Who the fuck is this protecting??

The other example is in regards to this week - it is the start of the trout fishing season. Usually, DNR stocks hundreds of ponds and creeks in Illinois twice a year so that anglers can enjoy some trout fishing. Well, this year, the amount of water systems that were stocked was cut by 2/3rd - again because of Covid "prevention". The first two days of the season brings large crowds to these water systems, and the DNR wants to prevent that....so you know what will happen? most of those people will still go fishing and the places that are open will be even more crowded. Who the fuck elects these idiots?
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #306 on: October 15, 2020, 10:15:52 AM »
Yup, totally agree with all of that. 

Another example: our local school is NOT being transparent.  One of the cheerleaders posted on social media in the town and blew up a huge thing saying half the cheer squad had it and the school then sent out calls and emails saying there was 1 confirmed case and 8 others 'under investigation'.  They then went on to say that anyone in the high school (where the confirmed case was) that didn't show up to the single in-school day (Wednesday) would be marked absent DESPITE a potential outbreak.  WTF?  They're not telling anyone about the kids that take the rapid test because that's not 'official' and they wait until the local health board gives them a full test.  WHAT?  It's like they're trying to give it to other people.  I'm so mad at the way they are handling it.

Where I was so happy during the summer with our school district, since then it just got progressively worse - now I'm down right mad. They are now trying to get kids back to school - 2 days a week, 4 hours a day. How many families can manage that?! Most districts around us have opened up successfully - most are going the whole week, and our district cannot get it together. Makes me want to move.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #307 on: October 15, 2020, 10:58:35 AM »
Yes and no.  Yes you want them to leisure outdoors but you don't want a large group of unrelated people at the same spot.  So, I can see those places that attract lots of people being closed.

Sure... but there are ways to prevent massive crowds without completely closing the places. And it is very rare for an outdoor space to get so crowded that you're spending more than a few seconds near somebody outside your group. If you require masks then I don't see it being a problem and I feel like the benefits would outweigh the small risk.

But as you said, I don't think these choices are necessarily being made on risk benefit assessments, but rather the inertia of the initial changes followed by which closures get the biggest outcry and which are easiest to leave closed.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #308 on: November 08, 2020, 06:44:34 PM »
My wife started having cold/flu like symptoms on Friday. Started with chills, progressed to sore throat, muscle pain and headache on Saturday, chest pressure last night and finally heavy cough today. For obvious reasons we thought she has covid-19 and decided to get a test. To our surprise, we couldn't find an open to time slot for drive through testing until Wednesday! And we looked in the greater chicagoland area...she called a covid hospital, and after a phone screen, the screener concluded she most likely has covid and can come in today for a doctor's visit. We wanted to avoid that at all costs - the in person visit at a covid hospital that is.

She called her friend that works at a doctor's office. An hour later she had a rapid test kit in her hand. Administered it and it came out negative.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #309 on: November 08, 2020, 07:26:16 PM »
My wife started having cold/flu like symptoms on Friday. Started with chills, progressed to sore throat, muscle pain and headache on Saturday, chest pressure last night and finally heavy cough today. For obvious reasons we thought she has covid-19 and decided to get a test. To our surprise, we couldn't find an open to time slot for drive through testing until Wednesday! And we looked in the greater chicagoland area...she called a covid hospital, and after a phone screen, the screener concluded she most likely has covid and can come in today for a doctor's visit. We wanted to avoid that at all costs - the in person visit at a covid hospital that is.

She called her friend that works at a doctor's office. An hour later she had a rapid test kit in her hand. Administered it and it came out negative.

We had a similar experience. My wife had cold symptoms including a cough and was able to get a test in a couple days but it took 6 days to get the results (hers was negative). It would be easier to handle it if testing gave quick and accurate results for anybody with symptoms.

I don't know too much about the rapid tests but are they considered reliable? Like do they tell you to still get the regular test when you can get the appointment just to be sure?

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #310 on: November 08, 2020, 07:28:36 PM »
Her friend said if the rapid test is given same day as symptoms occur, it is a bit less accurate - three days into it she said it is very accurate

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #311 on: November 08, 2020, 11:35:41 PM »
The chest pressure and cough would be the thing I'd worry most about. Hopefully she feels better in a few days. Might want to get yourself tested out of precaution.

My step-mom just tested positive this week as did one of my aunts. So far, my dad and uncle are clear and isolating their spouses to their basements. My wife wasn't feeling well last week but seems to be better this weekend so we didn't end up finding a testing site.
This signature intentionally left blank.

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #312 on: November 10, 2020, 09:20:12 AM »
My son's daycare closed early yesterday and is closed temporarily due to a case in a student and teacher. I'm still allowed to come into work with a mask on while asymptomatic. I'm guessing if they closed yesterday, people got tested sometime late last week which means if Casey was exposed, it was probably early last week. Coincidentally, he came home with a super runny nose on Friday. He needs testing to return regardless so looks like he gets his first nasal swab if I can find a place that actually has slots available for testing :(

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #313 on: November 10, 2020, 11:06:32 AM »
Ugh that sucks.  I know we had a daycare around here shut down because one of the kids tested positive.  Our city school is up to like 25 cases but the county keeps saying it's 'safe to continue classes'.  Like WTF?  What's the limit?

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #314 on: November 10, 2020, 09:59:11 PM »
Lots of interesting information about Pfizer's vaccine that seems to be doing well in trials

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CHa_1e9J5mX  a little long, but captivating.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."