Author Topic: Netbeans?  (Read 11332 times)

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
Re: Netbeans?
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2012, 05:04:20 PM »
If you're going to be learning VB you might as well use Visual Studio for your C++ work, too. It's a pretty good IDE anyway.

I may, may not. Really not sure yet. All I know for sure is I have always hated VB.

Why? It's a terrific language for RAD, and pretty quick these days too. I can't see any good reason not to use it unless you want to hit the metal, in which case you'd use C anyway.

edit>> Unless of course this is simply language snobbery of the "real men program in C" variety, in which case we should all write in assembler (which I do. Often.)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 05:12:25 PM by RobR »

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2012, 05:22:15 PM »
If you're going to be learning VB you might as well use Visual Studio for your C++ work, too. It's a pretty good IDE anyway.

I may, may not. Really not sure yet. All I know for sure is I have always hated VB.

Why? It's a terrific language for RAD, and pretty quick these days too. I can't see any good reason not to use it unless you want to hit the metal, in which case you'd use C anyway.

edit>> Unless of course this is simply language snobbery of the "real men program in C" variety, in which case we should all write in assembler (which I do. Often.)

I toyed with Assembler in CP3 my Senior year and I recall it being difficult for me.

With VB my memories of it are mostly biased (I think) by my Intro to CS teacher in 9th Grade. She was a miserable bat and always yelling at me for not doing things exactly her way. That was in 2000 and I have not touched VB since. To that end though, she was also my C++ teacher and she was the same way with C++ but I still like C++. Perhaps because I was older and realized her opinion didn't really matter that much. For example she would always use (and instruct us to use) void main. I refused to do this and she would always take off points for using int main.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Rob

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2012, 05:25:56 PM »
So VB6 then? You really need to try a modern VB.NET variety.

By the way, despite popular opinion there's nothing wrong with void main. I use it all the time. I'll leave it as an exercise to work out why :).

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2012, 05:32:30 PM »

By the way, despite popular opinion there's nothing wrong with void main. I use it all the time. I'll leave it as an exercise to work out why :).

I'm actually enjoying a good laugh at myself:

http://cboard.cprogramming.com/windows-programming/24416-my-comp-sci-2-class.html

Man, reading all of my old posts at Cboard has been.....humbling. No wonder you guys hated me back then, Jesus Christ. Yet Kermi was always my friend lol. And back then Jake seemed to liek me BETTER since we were always on AIM.

Anyway ya, VB6 actually sounds right on. I made the leap to C++ during that class and barely participated, and once VS.NET came out I never looked at VB ever again.

In any event my classes will have me doing it so I downloaded Visual Studio 2012 from my MSDN account to get started. Funny fact on that link I gave a few posts in I mention "option explicit". It's funny what the mind forgets, I had to google it to see WTF I had been talking about 10 years ago.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2012, 06:03:08 PM »

Well if there is no system to return a value to then void would be the proper return type.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2012, 06:09:44 PM »
I'm really excited about this. I just hope when it is all said and done I can work from home, since I like living in the country and being a stay at home dad. Plus physically it is easier for me.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2012, 07:03:17 PM »
Steve - I was an idiot for defending you.  Just throwing that out there.... :thumbsup:
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2012, 07:21:52 PM »
Steve - I was an idiot for defending you.  Just throwing that out there.... :thumbsup:

lmfao god you really did too. Like, daily.

Rob

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2012, 07:32:33 PM »

Well if there is no system to return a value to then void would be the proper return type.

:thumbsup:

Also if the program never terminates.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2012, 07:51:16 PM »
Of course that doesn't mean int is wrong either.  IIRC for most systems it just sets a register so no big deal to have it there.

JaWiB

• definitelys definately no MacGyver
  • Jackass V
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2012, 12:50:04 AM »

To spite Salem?

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2012, 11:17:58 AM »
Salem....haha good times.

I have been playing with VS 2012, I like it (for VB at least) but it is still really heavy. Installation took nearly 40 minutes and required some content downloading. It runs quickly though. I'll save the review for when I know what I'm doing.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2012, 06:13:01 PM »
Not sure what language you're looking for the IDE reviews but in general I'd take Eclipse any day over Netbeans. I've used both and while I would probably prefer Netbeans from a usability perspective (and features sooner) it tends to be a memory/CPU hog by comparison. The best IDE I've used is IntelliJ (Jetbrains) but you need to pay for it.

Quite a few of the guys I've worked with are big plain of Vim fans. I'm currently trying to stick with just Vim for most of my programming needs which with a handful of plugins serves me just fine and is super fast and portable. The only time I really fire up a heavy IDE is when I need to do tough debugging.
This signature intentionally left blank.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2012, 06:56:39 PM »
Steve I told weby that you're back on there...after he groaned (literally) he said he still gets emails with questions about your GL tutorials, and if you want to do more once you get back in the swing of things (I'm assuming for appropriate compensation) he'd be happy to discuss.  I'm sure same goes for everyone, he's always looking for tutorials that he doesn't have to write himself hehe.
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2012, 07:40:16 PM »
Steve I told weby that you're back on there...after he groaned (literally) he said he still gets emails with questions about your GL tutorials, and if you want to do more once you get back in the swing of things (I'm assuming for appropriate compensation) he'd be happy to discuss.  I'm sure same goes for everyone, he's always looking for tutorials that he doesn't have to write himself hehe.

Yea aside from the bs i made a lot of contribution there. Im sure I will again in time. Its starting to come back to ke bit by bit. Wish i had saved my projects.