Author Topic: London attacks  (Read 5079 times)

drakkenkorin

• http://www.google.com
London attacks
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2005, 08:43:57 PM »
thought i heard that some website was claiming responsibility - something along the lines of an al queda (sp?) branch in europe.

what i found interesting is that the news reported that one of the bombs in the underground was near a "muslim neighborhood" - i always figured they'd kind of avoid injuring fellow muslims - but then again, i'm sure quite a few muslims died in 9/11....
"I know that when I get home from work, I like to read the paper, sip a nice glass of Cabernet, and call people faggots on the internet.  Because I'm an adult." - Govtcheez

l33t-5h1t

• The artist formerly known as Waldo
  • Jackass III
London attacks
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2005, 11:48:34 PM »
>>but I don't see how you could call what they're doing cowardice

it does take balls to do it suicide style, but they're still killing innocent non-combatants. If they want to kill someone it should be done on a real battlefield...so yeah

Bassy

• Red Panda
  • Jackass IV
    • My website
London attacks
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2005, 05:04:52 AM »
i love it i really do - we have some silly website going on about how the british are burning with fear and thats all i heard yesterday on the train out of london was people saying how bloody inconvenient it was as they had to walk to the station.

Even funnier almost all the transport network in London is back up and running today - thing these so called terrorists seem to forget is that London went through worse bombings in WW2, we went through the IRA even the Libyans tried their hand - so now we're rather bored and disdainful about the whole thing really.

We've come to the conclusion that its actually the French who did this as they are pissed about losing the Olympics.

I found this article this morning on a livejournal that has all sorts of quotes from people from the day - and its bloody hilarious:

http://www.livejournal.com/users/tyrell/154027.html?page=1
People in bamboo houses shouldn't throw pandas

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
London attacks
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2005, 06:20:40 AM »
A tough bunch you are.  But terrorists are still buttheads.

Ken Fitlike

• Jackass V
  • Ebeneezer McScrooge
London attacks
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2005, 07:57:35 AM »
This gave rise to a chuckle:
Quote from: chimmy's clicky
To quote an old Londoner who lived through the blitz and got caught up in the Canary Wharf explosion: "I've been blown up by a better class of bastard than this!"
as did
Quote from: chimmy's clicky
"It's hard to panic the British. They've dealt with the Blitz, the IRA, the Silurians, the Zarbi, the Daleks, the Cybermen..."
Although I'm a bit bemused by the reference to William Wallace in one of those quotes; must be the shock.
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?.

Bassy

• Red Panda
  • Jackass IV
    • My website
London attacks
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2005, 08:51:32 AM »
i did like this one:

"They're asking everyone to stay within the office."
"Oh. What about lunch?"
"Er..."
"We can go out for lunch, right?"
"No!"
"Well are you ordering pizza or something?"

never get between an englishman and his midday meal.

This actually reminded me of a film called 'The Lady Vanishes' - and i mean the original Hitchcock one with Michael Redgrave' - there were two Englishmen in it called Charters and Caldicott (though one of those actors was officially Welsh - but meh) played by Naunton Wayne and Basil Radford. As people vanish, people die, the American woman panicks (though Margaret Lockwood was a brit I'm sure she was playing an American - though i might be wrong) and battle starts to rage - these two are more interested in the fact that the train will be late and they will miss the start of the test match.

Iris Henderson: I was having tea about an hour ago with an English lady. You saw her, didn't you?
Charters: Well, I don't know, I mean, I was talking to my friend, wasn't I?
Caldicott: Indubitably.
Iris Henderson: Yes, but you were sitting at the next table. She turned and borrowed the sugar. You must remember.
Charters: Yes, I recall passing the sugar.
Iris Henderson: Well then you saw her.
Charters: I repeat we were deep in conversation. We were discussing cricket.
Iris Henderson: Well, I don't see how a thing like cricket can make you forget seeing people.
Charters: Oh, don't you? If that's your attitude, there's nothing more to be said! Come Caldicott. "A thing like cricket!"
Gilbert: Wrong tactics. We should've told him we were looking for a lost cricket ball.

heck i am going to have to rewatch that film this afternoon now. I adored a young Michael Redgrave.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2005, 08:58:07 AM by chimaera »
People in bamboo houses shouldn't throw pandas

Ken Fitlike

• Jackass V
  • Ebeneezer McScrooge
London attacks
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2005, 09:38:30 AM »
There were a couple on the ancient and royal art of tea-drinking which, while predictable, were nonetheless amusing.

Enjoy your film. :)
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?.

ygfperson

• Founders
    • Last.fm
London attacks
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2005, 04:09:22 PM »
found this article this morning on a livejournal that has all sorts of quotes from people from the day - and its bloody hilarious:

those are awesome

//edit: this'll sound stupid, but is the tube a train, a subway, a bus, a streetcar, or an actual tube? and what terrorist group is ru paul?

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
London attacks
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2005, 04:59:29 PM »
Tube = London Underground train.

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
London attacks
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2005, 07:29:53 PM »
And were you joking about RuPaul?

ygfperson

• Founders
    • Last.fm
London attacks
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2005, 09:13:32 PM »
yes... but i've seriously never heard of him outside of whose line is it anyway. and i didn't know he was british

VBprogrammer

• Back on GMT thank god
  • Jackass IV
London attacks
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2005, 12:31:43 PM »
Quote from: ygfperson
that's too bad. i hope it's not the work of violent G8 protesters. i don't want to jump to conclusions about the claim that it was al-qaeda either.

not here. in any case it's not that big of a threat... it's not like there's a pipeline connecting every home to an udder. if something happened to it they'd find out before it would be released to the public.

As the only member of entropy sink to experience these protests first hand...day 1 was amazing thousands of peope walking around supporting a cause...after that it was just plain scary. I've started a job in the middle of it, might tell you abit about it in another thread, but i'm working with scottish widows, one of the largest financial instututions in edinburgh, luckely its in the centre but not in the financial district where most of the trouble was. Even the staff in the banks where in plain clothes just incase anything happened after there shifts and most of the shops where boarded up. I managed to avoid ending up between police lines but know a few people who got traped and extreamly scared. Could hear trouble from my flat for most of the evening. Not to mention the large police riot vans driving round in groups of 20+.

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
London attacks
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2005, 09:43:45 AM »
More bombs in London today. Looks like copycat stuff. Various reports of nail bombs and detonators without explosive.

A Bit of Fruit

• loves threads ALL ABOUT HIM!!
  • Jackass V
  • Frontier Psychiatrist
London attacks
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2005, 10:52:37 PM »
saw it on the news this morning, it does look like an amature copycat
i have a stationary fetish

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
London attacks
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2005, 08:29:22 AM »
Heard this morning that somebody wearing a padded trenchcoat was gunned down in a tunnel this morning in London.