Technical & Scientific > Programming

Projects planning

<< < (3/4) > >>

Mike:
For the larger projects there is definitely non-programming tasks that need to be captured and tracked.  For example, with the rewrite there were training sessions, documentation, help videos, and communications that all needed to be done.  Those were non-development tasks that needed to be done and tracked.  Plus, all of the pre-development work like requirements gathering, drafting the documents that detailed each piece, etc.  So, yeah, we kinda need more than just the dev component.

I really want to move on from Trello as we've grown way past it.  But with the recession not sure if now is the time since everything else costs money.

ober:
Aha is more about Personas, Goals, calculating WSJF, etc.  It's less about task management as it is building a case and aligning it with strategic goals and direction.  I'm sure you could track some of that other stuff in there but that's not what we use it for.  All that stuff is generated by the training or marketing departments.  I suppose that's the benefit of working for a slightly larger company.

If Aha! is too much, I would maybe suggest something like https://www.liquidplanner.com/  Honestly that sounds more like something you need than Aha.

Perspective:

--- Quote from: micah on May 14, 2020, 02:39:46 PM ---Not a Jira fan either from my last 2 companies that used it...but I kind of miss it now that I'm somewhere without it it.  We're using leankit.com now, but not very efficiently.

As far as the Jira roadmap boxing you in, it is configurable. I think a lot of organizations just don't put the dedicated resources into managing it.  The first place I used it was aweful because it was never really configured beyond the default settings.   The last company though had a PM who spent 50% of his time managing Jira, integrating other software, configuring workflows, etc. 

--- End quote ---

Yeah, my company is like that. All of engineering uses it and I'm pretty sure we have a dedicated team that customizes it for our use. The nice part about it is how seriously it is used across all projects. You can always track dependencies and road maps because it has to be in Jira or it's not actually planned.

Mike:

--- Quote from: ober on May 14, 2020, 10:35:04 PM ---Aha is more about Personas, Goals, calculating WSJF, etc.  It's less about task management as it is building a case and aligning it with strategic goals and direction.  I'm sure you could track some of that other stuff in there but that's not what we use it for.  All that stuff is generated by the training or marketing departments.  I suppose that's the benefit of working for a slightly larger company.

If Aha! is too much, I would maybe suggest something like https://www.liquidplanner.com/  Honestly that sounds more like something you need than Aha.

--- End quote ---
Thanks for the suggestion.  Liquid Planner looks a lot like smartsheets.

At our place, we had a PM contractor who over the last couple of years has worked to train up the rest of us on PM tasks and thinking before he retires.  At this stage, if a project is a tech project then we are going to manage the project.  We'll have marketing do the marketing stuff but we are responsible for bringing them in at the right time and making sure it gets done.

ober:
LiquidPlanner is a lot like smartsheets but more powerful.  The planning portion is more like MS Project.  You can really build out timelines and priorities and stuff.  My only issue is that it sort of casts a 'waterfall' light on the project and gets you in that mindset vs. being more agile.  You end up planning out more than you should and all of a sudden you're working towards dates instead of functionality.  That's my only caution with tools like that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version