Author Topic: Instaling apps onto a BB from a PC  (Read 4642 times)

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
Instaling apps onto a BB from a PC
« on: March 08, 2010, 11:18:23 AM »
Is it possible and can I do it without hacking/destroying my BB?

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: Instaling apps onto a BB from a PC
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 11:19:22 AM »
oh hey apparently it's very simple :)

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 01:30:50 PM »
Wow! Less than a minute... including the typing of another post with a smiley.

Must have been super simple.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 01:46:01 PM »
Yeah for some reason it never really occurred to me that BB would have a built-in way to do this from the Desktop Manager, since I never use that program. 

Tomorrow I will have MLB At Bat and be able to listen to baseball even if I can't get to a radio :)

drakkenkorin

• Jackass VI
    • http://www.google.com
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 05:27:09 PM »
BB's are good if you have a PC.  Really no help for Mac users though, even though they promise a program every year but never deliver.
"I know that when I get home from work, I like to read the paper, sip a nice glass of Cabernet, and call people faggots on the internet.  Because I'm an adult." - Govtcheez

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 09:18:21 AM »
I'm getting a Droid Eris on Friday so this topic doesn't matter anymore :)

fuck you blackberry :)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 12:22:34 PM »
My wife has an Eris and it's pretty cool.  If I ever quit my job and have to give up my iPhone, I'll switch to an Eris.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 02:10:36 PM »
That's pretty cool.  My wife has a Nexus One so I'm sort of familiar with Android, but haven't messed with it too much.  I think the thing that will take the most getting used to for me is the touchscreen; I don't know what my problem is, but I feel like a total moron when I'm using it.

Does your wife have any suggestions for apps?

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 03:55:43 PM »
My wife has an Eris and it's pretty cool.  If I ever quit my job and have to give up my iPhone, I'll switch to an Eris.

Would you rather have the Eris over the iPhone all other things being the same?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 09:35:53 PM »
Does your wife have any suggestions for apps?
Most of the apps she has are little random games, mostly for the kids.  She has a few ringtone apps and whatnot but nothing she's really crazy about.  If you want the games, let me know.  And really, I think you'll like using the touch screen over a trackball... and if you don't, the Eris has a trackball so you're set either way.  I don't know how people live without the touchscreen.

Would you rather have the Eris over the iPhone all other things being the same?
I'd still take the iPhone.  If nothing else, because the iTunes app store kicks major ass over anything Verizon has put out yet, unless I just haven't tapped it appropriately.  That and there are little things about the Eris that annoy me (the buttons at the bottom aren't the easiest to hit for one and there is no physical switch to go to silent mode).

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 06:30:26 AM »
I think the iTunes app store is a lot more established than anything Android could offer at this point, but it seems like it's growing a lot, especially with all the buzz around the Droid and Nexus One

The apps that I'm going to get are the aforementioned At Bat (listen to baseball games from the home or away radio feed, over your phone), the barcode scanner, locale (your phone has different settings based on where you are - vibrates at work, loud at somewhere else, etc), and a few various apps for productivity, since it is a work phone and all.

I'd be interested in games, but I haven't heard of any that sounded too good.  My wife has Oregon Trail, which was really entertaining for about 5 minutes, but that was all.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2010, 09:44:57 AM »
Yeah... the games aren't quite at the same level as the iPhone games.  Most are simple "board games".  Not a lot of shooter/racing/drag this here type games that I typically play on the iPhone.  Then again, I haven't looked at the Android Market for hours on end either.  They really need a better way to manage it than just doing it from the phone itself.  I hate iTunes because of the performance but the actual functionality that it provides and the amount of content is staggering.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2010, 10:11:20 AM »
One thing that Android has is QR codes, which are like bar codes that you can just take a picture of (from your PC or whatever) and they'll download automatically.  Seems pretty awesome to me.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2010, 02:29:59 PM »
I understand the theory... but I don't see the application.  From what I read, you're basically just using it to go to a URL... or am I missing something?

webwhy

• Jackass IV
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2010, 02:33:56 PM »
One thing that Android has is QR codes, which are like bar codes that you can just take a picture of (from your PC or whatever) and they'll download automatically.  Seems pretty awesome to me.

they don't have a qr code app for IPhone?  i thought there was one available, or are you saying that android phones have built-in support for reading qr