Author Topic: Freecom DataBar spontaneously 'sploded  (Read 2190 times)

ahluka

• Jackass IV
Freecom DataBar spontaneously 'sploded
« on: August 22, 2008, 03:48:08 PM »
My bro wanted to use it to take some high-high-high res images to some place to be printed tomorrow so I naturally move everything from it into a temp folder on my desktop, right?

If only life was so simple. About 3/4 of the way through I get an I/O error of some description, failing on an image (album art) and now it's completely dead. I get a "please insert disk into drive E:" when I try to open it in explorer, format in explorer doesn't even open and at the command line gives an IOCTL call error. Also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver as well as disabling and enabling it in device manager. Doesn't work on any PC in the house.

Is it deadified?

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: Freecom DataBar spontaneously 'sploded
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 04:11:57 PM »
I'd suspect so too. Never had any flash devices go south on me yet though so I'm not exactly sure what happens. How old is it? Heavy usage?

I had a friend in college that got a bad flash drive from Walmart and had to take it back after only a week of use. She was a little upset since her data was unrecoverable.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Dumah

• Jackass IV
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 04:14:31 PM »
Have you tried it on another system?

ahluka

• Jackass IV
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 05:07:23 PM »
I'd suspect so too. Never had any flash devices go south on me yet though so I'm not exactly sure what happens. How old is it? Heavy usage?

About 4 months old and yeah, fairly heavy usage.

Have you tried it on another system?

Well I already said it doesn't work on any othe PC in the house so do you mean another OS? Then no, I haven't. Haven't got any boxes running anything except XP at the moment which is weird (I usually have at least one dual booting with Linux).

Think I'll see if I can get it replaced.