Author Topic: Can we have comedy without it being at the expense of others?  (Read 2183 times)

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
Can we have comedy without it being at the expense of others?
« on: February 14, 2019, 02:18:41 PM »
So I was thinking recently that often times comedians can get away with saying inappropriate things because it's labeled comedy. That's becoming more difficult for them now I think as the line is starting to shift with current culture, but in general they still get away with things. But it got me thinking, is there any comedy that doesn't come at the expense of others? We make fun of groups of people for stereotypes, which we wouldn't appreciate if we were in that group. We post pictures of our children doing things that are possibly embarrassing, etc. So I pose the question, what comedy exists that doesn't make fun of/offend others? Where is the place for comedy in the modern society?
This signature intentionally left blank.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
Re: Can we have comedy without it being at the expense of others?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 03:36:28 PM »
well there's still slapstick, puns and observational humor.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 10:31:50 PM »
Brian Reagan is a great example of someone that doesn't poke fun at others but is totally hilarious.  I think most comics that feel they need to attack a group of people to get a laugh just aren't very imaginative or observant of other things in the world.  Louis CK used to be self deprecating but hasn't followed that model lately.  Plus the dude is a fuckin creep.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 04:28:50 PM »
I don't necessarily mind humor at the expense of others, although it's certainly not easy to do well without being overly offensive.

Keys might be to prefer to punch up rather than down and prefer to make fun of yourself or people like you.

There's also a difference between making fun of behaviors and being insulting. When I make fun of my kids I don't actually believe that their behavior is bad or wrong or that they should be ashamed of it. (Or maybe it's "wrong" but I don't consider it a big deal.) In fact I tell them that if I'm making a joke about something it means I probably don't think it's actually bad. Comedy can be like that I think.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 05:31:04 PM »
If i'm understanding what Charlie's saying I totally agree.

I think a little good ribbing is fine, as long as its not overtly overly offensive. I'm overweight, and I generally don't enjoy "fat jokes" but at the same time, sometimes they are really funny -- especially if the comedian is overweight and making self deprecating jokes.  But it all comes down to the intent and (for lack of a better word) the heart of the person telling the jokes.  I generally don't like jokes that mock people for who they are or what they believe -- but sometimes general stereotypes and mocking the extreme is fine. again, given the proper intent.

Also, I think people need to lighten up a bit. I listen to the stand up comedy station on xm radio just about every day. Sometimes there are really tasteless comedians that I just don't like or topics that legit bug me -- like mocking religions or those with disabilities. There are times I just straight up change the station; but I don't have a problem with the comedians doing jokes I don't like. That's their thing and their audience and I just choose to not be apart of it.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."