Author Topic: The ES Browser of the Year  (Read 6247 times)

ahluka

• Jackass IV
The ES Browser of the Year
« on: November 28, 2005, 08:04:44 AM »
Personally I hate IE, and for the last 4 years or so have been using Firefox, until yesterday when I started using Opera.

In terms of looks and fluidness I prefer Opera, in fact my only complaint is the lack of a home button on the back/forward/refresh toolbar, but I am getting used to it. Oh yeah, the way Opera opens the last page you were viewing before you closed it... not good if I happened to be looking at something my Ma would rather I didn't see.

Loading times? I noticed no significant difference between Opera and Firefox (I've forgotten what IE is like).

Spyware. Now, I haven't checked his out myself, but a good friend of mine has "performed an experiment" over a month to see how much spyware he gets on IE and Firefox. He says that there's only a small difference between Firefox and IE. He says. Meh.

So what takes the prize for you? Oh yeah, for me it must be Firefox, although Opera is quickly growing on me.

EDIT: I had the idea for this thread while soaking in the bath last night. As you do. Maybe we could make it an annual thing?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 08:29:46 AM »
Do yourself a favor.. modify the toolbars.  You can add in the home button and completely move it.  When I upgrade, I always do this:

Add a toolbar at the top and get rid of all those stupid buttons, and move the back/forward/etc up to that top bar.  I also make sure I have the new page, wand, and home buttons in there.  Then I remove all those buttons from the tab bar.  And you can change what it starts up with.  I have mine setup to open 3 or 4 windows each time it loads.

Keep playing with Opera.  I think you're gonna love it.

Opera gets my vote.

Oh, and upgrade to 8.51... it fixes a major Adobe error.

ahluka

• Jackass IV
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 09:08:53 AM »
Cool thanks for the help.

Canuck

• Eh?!!
  • Founders
  • Andy Moog Fan
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 11:24:57 AM »
Ive been using Opera for probably 4 or 5 years, since IE was always crashing with Windows ME.  I believe ober is the one who suggested it to me over at Cprog.  I have been a fan ever since.

I still have a problem with Opera lagging somtimes, not allowing the page to load, and it only happens in Opera, weird.  I still use it though.

I also use the personal bar above the tabs on which I have 10 of my most frequently visited sites.  I just click it, and it goes to the page, instead of having to look through my bookmarks for it.

VBprogrammer

• Back on GMT thank god
  • Jackass IV
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 01:14:47 PM »
I use mozzila firefox, for the moment I'm spyware free (running on linux as well), so far so good. Love the find on page toolbar!

ahluka

• Jackass IV
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2005, 01:30:13 PM »
Quote from: VBprogrammer
I use mozzila firefox, for the moment I'm spyware free (running on linux as well), so far so good. Love the find on page toolbar!

Yeah that toolbar kicks ass, the way if like finds the word as you're typing it. Really convienient.

EDIT: Hmm I just read that back and it sounds like I'm being sarcastic, well I'm not :)

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2005, 01:35:20 PM »
opera owns, others suck.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2005, 03:21:06 PM »
Could we fix the front page here so that it displays correctly in IE?

:D

Major_Small

• Jackass IV
    • http://www.johnshaoonline.com
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2005, 03:25:24 PM »
alright, fine. I just got the opera package off gentoo's portage, and I'll give it a shot, but ATM I like FF above all.
Team Cprog Folding@Home: Team #43476
Download it Here
Detailed Stats Here
More Detailed Stats
51 Members so far, are YOU a member?
Current team score: 827850 (ranked 357 of 41389)

The CBoard team is doing better than [COLOR='#0000FF']99.13%[/COLOR] of the other teams
Top 5 Members: Xterria(331048), Bennet(64957), pianorain(56621), Codeplug(35842), JaWiB(34917)

Last Updated on: Mon, 28 Nov, 2005 @ 3:21 PM EST

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2005, 04:58:04 PM »
Opera is king...I've messed around with my tool bar quite a bit...

The update is worth it ober?
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2005, 08:21:18 AM »
kermi, I know you've had problems in the past with losing your settings, but I promise that if you install over your current installation, you won't lose a thing.  And yes, it's worth it if you ever open PDFs and you have the latest version of Acrobat Reader installed.

[stealth]

• the original
  • Jackass V
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2005, 08:54:14 AM »
firefox all the way

drakkenkorin

• Jackass VI
    • http://www.google.com
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2005, 10:24:00 AM »
firefox.  opera for mac blows dirty ass.
"I know that when I get home from work, I like to read the paper, sip a nice glass of Cabernet, and call people faggots on the internet.  Because I'm an adult." - Govtcheez

ahluka

• Jackass IV
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2005, 10:49:12 AM »
Quote from: drakkenkorin
firefox.  opera for mac blows dirty ass.

You use a Mac? What are they like?

I was looking at them on apple.com and they are serious hardware, but seriously over priced. I mean $11900 for 16GM RAM? Fuck that, it'll be common-place within 5 years. I customised one with 2x Dual Core processors @ 2.5GHz each, 1TB HDD space, 16GM RAM and all the bells and whistles (widescreen, DVD-RW etc) and it came out over $20k. Whoa.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2005, 11:04:34 AM »
Quote from: Rob
Could we fix the front page here so that it displays correctly in IE?

:D
I want to redesign the entire thing......  ;)