Author Topic: Garden State  (Read 3504 times)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Garden State
« on: July 20, 2005, 11:05:32 AM »
I knew it was going to suck.  I told her it was going to suck.  I could see the suck written all over it before I pulled it out of the Netflix envelope.

It sucked.

1/10  :mad:

drakkenkorin

• Jackass VI
    • http://www.google.com
Garden State
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 11:40:18 AM »
hold on - wasn't it getting praise all over the damned place when it came out?

and weren't there people here or at the board that shall not be named who were swearing by it - think thats the only reason i put in on my netflix queue....
"I know that when I get home from work, I like to read the paper, sip a nice glass of Cabernet, and call people faggots on the internet.  Because I'm an adult." - Govtcheez

Silent Bob

• Jackass II
Garden State
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005, 11:57:10 AM »
I liked it. for a directorial movie debut I thoughtit was rather good.
I though it gave quite an convincing portrayal of directionless young men on anti depressants.
A good  gen y movie
Bought to you by an awful lot of monkeys a plethora of cheap PC's and a proofreader.

Experiments are under way to see if certain conditions and stimuli lead to better Monkey Typed Posts.

-KEN-

• Some Other Mofo
  • Jackass In Charge
Garden State
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2005, 12:17:42 PM »
What happens when you get to gen z and then you have no more gens to make you sound hardcore and let you say stupid words like "gen" WHAT THEN HUH WHAT THEN?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Garden State
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2005, 12:53:16 PM »
No.  Just no.  The movie is slow, the plot generally sucks, and Portman doesn't get nekkid.

The whole thing is about the guy from that hospital show who has been on drugs that were prescribed by his psychiatrist dad, and he realizes he doesn't need them anymore... mainly because his mom dies and he can let go of the fact that he crippled her.  It fucking blows.  It's like a stoner movie or something.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
Garden State
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2005, 12:56:10 PM »
I liked the movie. It was a bit more "mature" of a movie no wild special effects and stuff. I think it was the actors that made it worth while, if I read the book it probably wouldn't have been all that interesting.
It was worth watching again for me.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
Garden State
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2005, 01:06:30 PM »
I fucking loved this flick... my review from way back when i made the original thread about it:

Garden State - can we say Film Study 101? Sure we can! I really like watching movies by first time directors as they use very basic techniques that, when done effectively, bring so much to the movie; Garden State directed by Zach Braff is Film Study 101 at its finest.

After seeing the first couple of scenes I couldn't help but think of the Albert Camus classic The Stranger as a major influence for the film; Andrew Largeman (Braff) is a twenty something guy, struggling actor, living a drug-induced coma, devout of any emotion enough not to cry at mother's funeral - throughout the movie I was anticipating a murder which would lead to a similar fate as that which met Camus' protagonist, Meursault. I was wrong, of course, and that's because of the classic female savior, Samantha, played very well by the beautiful Natalie Portman.

Four days were enough for Sam to change Andrew's perspective on life; four days was enough for love. She brought back color to Andrew's pale being (color is one of those effective basic techniques utilized by Braff and a very noticeable motif in the movie).

The movie is intelligent and funny. Braff touches on many themes that plague the twenty-something's in our society.

Funniest part of the movie is definitely the Medieval Times Knight scene; imagine waking up from a full night of partying and being greeted by a knight in full armor - good stuff.

The movie is excellently scored and the soundtrack is wonderful, featuring such bands as The Shins and Zero 7.

If Garden State is a measure to Braff's youthful abilities, then I'm looking forward to see what else he can do.

10/10 (it would be 9/10, but extra point for Natalie :) )
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

ygfperson

• Founders
    • Last.fm
Garden State
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2005, 07:31:32 PM »
i really liked it. i've seen it a few times now (none that i've paid for, if that counts for anything).

the movie's about a guy who lives a boring, unhappy life and finds this girl who makes him happy. it's a romantic comedy. i guess the reason why i like it is that his enviroment is a lot like my enviroment, and so you feel happy for him when good things happen to him. there's probably more to it but i haven't seen it in a while

here's the original thread for the interested: http://www.rpi.edu/~schneg/fdiddypage.html

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
Garden State
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2005, 09:16:17 PM »
>>here's the original thread for the interested: http://www.rpi.edu/~schneg/fdiddypage.html<<

:o
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

[stealth]

• the original
  • Jackass V
Garden State
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2005, 09:21:41 PM »
To each his own, but this movie was one of last year's best.