Author Topic: ACB for SCOTUS  (Read 5791 times)

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
Re: ACB for SCOTUS
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2020, 11:16:17 AM »
I'd just like to take a moment to say Mitch McConnell is terrible. He's adjourned the senate following the confirmation for 2 weeks.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2020, 12:11:22 PM »
I guess I don't get the "law and order" framing here but maybe that's just semantics. This seems totally within the law to do. It's just that it's (a) norm-breaking and (b) explicitly defended as a power grab whereas usually there is some (often dubious) rationale for why the move is fair.

From a strictly legal perspective what they did was legal yes.  From the perspective of "there are rules that we agree to follow that govern our behavior" then I would argue they have abandon that.  For me "law and order" is about the latter.  And this is part of a larger set of behavior - hence calling it a confirmation.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2020, 07:10:40 PM »
I'd just like to take a moment to say Mitch McConnell is terrible. He's adjourned the senate following the confirmation for 2 weeks.

While it's probably not going to happen, I so hope he gets voted out for all of this.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2020, 09:27:59 AM »
Well, the GOP has confirmed they are no longer the party of law and order.  I'm truly saddened by how far they have fallen.  The only thing they respect is whatever power they can take to benefit themselves.

And it looks like they don't give a fuck and will keep doing it: https://www.salon.com/2020/11/19/senate-gop-breaks-123-year-tradition-to-pack-courts-with-trumps-judicial-nominees-in-spite-of-loss/