Technical & Scientific > Hardware

PC Build Review

<< < (2/3) > >>

KnuckleBuckett:
How about a laptop?  Small, and as powerful or not as necessary.  You can save a bundle getting a black Friday sale, factory refurb, or lightly used model.  Adding a different SSD or more memory is typically not so bad.

hans:
Thought about that too. There are a couple ASUS ones that would probably fit the bill but I'm not really a huge laptop kind of person. But it might actually make sense. But what fun is that?

KnuckleBuckett:
Yeah...I dunno.  Laptops are really nice as a small form factor, are wonderful to wander with, etc.  I enjoy the fun of speccing and building a PC too.  That said I have both and for sorta similar reasons to you.  Thus the suggestion.  We also have a tablet, not a valid solution for you, that has essentially replaced our Asus ZenBook.

Be interesting to see where you end up.

hans:
Ya, I have my Pixelbook and my older Pixel LS too that I threw GalliumOS but of those are both dual cores and I don't know that I want yet another laptop even if I do just treat it like a tower. (I have a couple tablets now too, I'm a total gadget dork) Realistically I could probably just upgrade to the NUC8i7 but it's kind of fun to at least pondering some options, and the NUC7 fans are kind of obnoxious under load. But they're just so tiny and portable.

The Chopin build just kind of looked cool. Part of me has thought about building a wooden PC case but I'm not quite sold on that idea.

hans:
I have been looking at the ASRock Mini's though too combo'd with an Intel i7 and Noctua which would probably be a better solution than the NUC without much more space and smaller than the Chopin build, but I need to watch some more reviews and builds.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version