Technical & Scientific > Hardware

Gaming computer

<< < (2/6) > >>

ober:
Oh and if I am going with those specs, I'm building it for myself and giving him mine ;)  I gotta think more about this.  I just put together the parts and it's more than I want to spend.  So I either drop down a generation or ... I don't know.

Mike:

--- Quote from: ober on February 03, 2020, 12:28:26 AM ---That Orbi system seems to be out of stock everywhere and on top of that it's kind of expensive.  I talked to Spectrum and they will run cables in my house for $50.  We'll see once they see what I want.

--- End quote ---
Is that $50 for one drop or many drops?  Nice thing about a good wifi network is that it gives more flexibility.  Also, Amazon has plenty of Orbis

--- Quote from: KnuckleBuckett on February 03, 2020, 06:18:54 AM ---If you can get copper get it.  No wireless competes with copper.  I use and dig Obi also, though not for my gaming PC which is on copper.

--- End quote ---
Unless you are a top-tier player you probably won't notice the difference.  In my setup (copper plugged into satellite) I am getting really good speed and latency.  Even my new purely wireless box is still getting the same results.

ober:
I'm going to find out what the $50 covers when they come out.  Honestly if they give me just one drop in the basement I'll gladly put a hub in and run wires to the devices that need it.

KnuckleBuckett:

--- Quote from: ober on February 03, 2020, 08:47:53 AM ---Oh and if I am going with those specs, I'm building it for myself and giving him mine ;)  I gotta think more about this.  I just put together the parts and it's more than I want to spend.  So I either drop down a generation or ... I don't know.

--- End quote ---

Those are solid minimum specs unless you want to be dialing back settings or upgrading all the time.  I used to back off a bit on CPU, but these days both the GPU and CPU are really well utilized by more and more games.  Be patient and watch for sales.  They happen all the time.  It will likely save you around 30%.  Oh and I forgot the storage.  Get an M.2 NVME the best bang for the buck and all the sales are at the 1TB mark.  Plus games are big these days.  So, for cabling you will have the case front panel, the two power connectors for the mobo, and the GPU power.  With that case, meaning you won't need much routing work, it is like a few minutes.  Oh and fans.  They need juice too.  The AMD stock cooler is actually nice. 

https://bensbargains.com/categories/computer-parts-116/

https://slickdeals.net/computer-deals/?src=catnav_computers

ober:
You realize my current machine is well under those specs and I run current games on pretty high settings?  I'm not saying I want to go bottom of the barrel but I may go a little under that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version