Author Topic: What is ES reading?  (Read 82915 times)

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: What is ES reading?
« Reply #135 on: July 05, 2011, 11:27:16 AM »
I didn't realize that going into it I guess, since I kept getting it recommended to me by adults.  It's not a big deal, at least it makes the books go by a lot faster.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #136 on: July 07, 2011, 08:32:33 AM »
Finished the second one last night and went right into the third.  Once I got used to the writing style again I started enjoying it.

After reading 4 800 page fantasy books in a row, Catching Fire felt like it went super quickly.  Also, now that I know that Lenny Kravitz is playing Cinna in the movies, I can't help but picture him every time Cinna's around.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #137 on: July 07, 2011, 01:17:28 PM »
Did you notice who the other characters are?  Very cool shit knowing some of that.

The thing I don't get is that the movies are going to be PG-13, which means they're going to have to do a lot of stuff differently.  Bummer.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #138 on: July 07, 2011, 02:01:28 PM »
The girl they cast for Katniss looks very believable.  Also I pictured Haymitch as fatter but I think Woody Harrelson can definitely pull that off

I think they'll be able to do it justice as PG-13, they just may have to tone down the violence a little bit.  They can still show quite a bit though, I'd think.  They're not going to adapt books written for teenagers into R rated gorefests, even if the book is written that way.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 02:08:33 PM by Govtcheez »

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #139 on: July 07, 2011, 02:02:10 PM »
Also it sucked to notice that almost all of the actors playing the tributes were born in the early 90s.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #140 on: July 07, 2011, 09:18:16 PM »
damn Cheez - I need to sign up for your speed reading class :p

I'm only about 420 pages into GoT. Still great.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #141 on: July 07, 2011, 09:20:08 PM »
Listening to the audiobook now...

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #142 on: July 08, 2011, 07:44:51 AM »
I don't read that fast, I just do it a lot if I'm into the book I'm reading.  Also, when I went on vacation a couple weeks ago, about all I did was read.  I got through about 2 of the ASOIAF books that week

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #143 on: July 08, 2011, 09:08:19 AM »
The girl they cast for Katniss looks very believable.  Also I pictured Haymitch as fatter but I think Woody Harrelson can definitely pull that off

I think they'll be able to do it justice as PG-13, they just may have to tone down the violence a little bit.  They can still show quite a bit though, I'd think.  They're not going to adapt books written for teenagers into R rated gorefests, even if the book is written that way.
Yeah, I think they really did a good job with the casting.  Especially President Snow being Donald Sutherland.  That's brilliant.

It'll be interesting to see it play out but I think there are several things in the second book that would have been better being left in that won't make the cut for PG-13.  Basically the antics of Johanna.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #144 on: July 08, 2011, 09:26:42 AM »
The problems I was thinking about were actually from the first book, with the girl getting turned to goo by the wasps

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #145 on: July 09, 2011, 08:51:28 AM »
I started reading GoT half in Polish. I have a Polish translated PDF that I can sneak read at work ;) and read the book in English at home. Took out a large chunk yesterday. I'm also on episode 3 of the show.

Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #146 on: July 10, 2011, 09:22:41 PM »
The problems I was thinking about were actually from the first book, with the girl getting turned to goo by the wasps
You mean supposedly turned to goo by the tracker jackers?  You realize that was a hallucination, right?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #147 on: July 10, 2011, 09:23:19 PM »
Just finished the Green Mile.  Good book.  A little wordy.  I want to see the movie now.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #148 on: July 10, 2011, 09:27:08 PM »
You mean supposedly turned to goo by the tracker jackers?  You realize that was a hallucination, right?
Well right but it was still real from her perspective, so I'd assume it'd be part of the movie.  The way they described the real results of the tracker jackers is still very graphic.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #149 on: July 10, 2011, 09:31:34 PM »
Yeah, there was a lot that was graphic about that book.  It was probably the most graphic of the 3 as far as I'm concerned.

The thing I'm curious about with the movies is that I don't think they can make the movie first perspective like the books.  It would be almost impossible.  But we'll see.