Author Topic: Should I get glasses?  (Read 3423 times)

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
Should I get glasses?
« on: January 25, 2010, 01:10:31 PM »
My wife has super vision - I swear she can see things around corners - so it always surprises her when I point out I can read a particular road sign, or real the time on the microwave from 2 rooms away.   Anyway, my doctor told me to get an eye exam ('cause I have other medical issues) and I found out that I am actually a tiny bit near-sighted.  The prescription is like -0.50 in one eye and -0.25 in the other; far from horrible.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind knowing that I was seeing things as sharp as possible, especially when driving, sometimes I have to admit it's hard to read road signs when I don't know where I am -- but other than that, I'm not very bothered by my vision and I'm not inclined to spend several hundred dollars right now on glasses.   

In other words, I'm not adverse to the idea of wearing glasses, but do you think the slight benefit to my vision is worth the money?
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
Re: Should I get glasses?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 01:12:28 PM »
I think you'd look hot with glasses.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 09:52:38 PM »
Tough call.  I have above average vision.  My wife fought getting glasses forever.  However after she got them and walked out of the store she looked around and was amazed at the difference.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 10:05:00 PM »
with a small prescription like that you ca pick up a pair for $10 at CVS or Walgreens. See if it helps you at all....if it does, and you think you need a more stylish pair, order them then.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 10:14:19 PM »
axon, I thought of that, but all the glasses they sell at the drug store are for farsighted folks who have trouble reading up close (their like +0.25 or +0.50)  I need the opposite (-0.50).    Does anyone know if they sell those "over the counter"?
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 10:33:34 PM »
Is it true that getting glasses (or contacts) when your vision isn't perfect can help prevent it from getting worse?

Micah, do you have vision on your health plan or is this all out of pocket?

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 11:46:30 PM »
My first prescription was around that value. I only used them to read the boards clearly at school, but man, the first time I put those glasses on I couldn't believe how clear everything was. Now i've degraded more, like -2 or so and I really need them, especially for driving.

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 09:42:22 AM »
Micah, do you have vision on your health plan or is this all out of pocket?

I'm not really sure whats covered as far as hardware, like the actual frames/lenses.  The checkup was covered as a medical visit for my pre-existing condition.  I'm under the impression the glasses aren't covered though.  I'm not really sure how to find out - we don't have an HR department and the people who administer our crappy plan are twits... and the plan documents aren't posted on the website when you log in to the section that say's "View My Plan Documents"

VBprogrammer

• Back on GMT thank god
  • Jackass IV
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 02:05:15 PM »
In the UK their is a company called glassesdirect.co.uk that do prescription glasses starting at £10 (and in scotland eye tests / prescriptions are free). Maybe there is something similar in the US?

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 12:47:40 PM »
my vision is 20/175 and 20/200 without glasses and i still never wear them. i look like a tool.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010, 12:51:19 PM »

Too easy.

JaWiB

• definitelys definately no MacGyver
  • Jackass V
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2010, 06:19:11 PM »

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 08:41:35 PM »
my vision is 20/175 and 20/200 without glasses and i still never wear them. i look like a tool.

fixed that for you.  :D

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2015, 03:27:01 PM »
sorry to bump a 5-1/2 year old thread...

so, 2 years after this last post, I did finally get glasses.  Now, 3 and a half years after that, they finally have gotten so broken that I've got them tapped together.  So time for new glasses.

I went back to the eye doctor this week, got a new prescription and today ordered new glasses.  I let my wife pick them out because, well, she's the one who has to look at me.  We went with these: http://all4optics.com/product/new-original-eyeglasses-dolce-gabbana-dg-3207-2867-men-tortoise-grey-square-clear/

A little bold and not really my current style but they don't look that bad on me.  I wasn't going to get them but then I figured, I work with a bunch of young creative people and maybe now I'll fit in.  (although, they'll probably just think I'm an old fart trying to look like a young creative type)

Anyway, I'll pick them up tomorrow after work.  We'll see. (pun intended)

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2015, 05:53:12 PM »
I remember wearing those things.  Annoying pieces of shit that always got banged up, smudged, and dust.... oh the dust.  Don't miss them.

Those frames are kinda funky.  I usually went with the minimalistic metal frames.