Author Topic: Need Suit Advice  (Read 7727 times)

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Re: Need Suit Advice
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2011, 08:14:24 PM »
I was thinking about this:

http://www.menswearhouse.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_10051_10558_10601_38916_-1_10558_CHARCOAL%20SOLID_10051_?cm_vc=40159

And just to clarify, I'm only buying the pants and coat correct? I still need the shirt under, tie, and shoes. Already have shoes.

Speaking of tie, i'm assuming clip on is out and i have to learn to tie one.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2011, 08:17:14 PM »
Yeah that looks good.  The guys at the store can probably help you with shirt and tie selection.  I know you don't want to feel like a penguin, but there's nothing wrong with a plain white shirt and you can use it for lots of other things

Tying a tie is pretty easy.  I'd ask someone you know to show you how, though.  It's easier if you can practice and have them correct you.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2011, 08:18:16 PM »
I was thinking of a shade or two darker than white, or maybe even a light blue. I really like the look and color of it though.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2011, 08:19:40 PM »
That's probably ok too.  Just ask the salespeople, they'll tell you what's typically acceptable in an interview

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2011, 08:24:09 PM »
Sweet. We have one on 28th, and one on rivertown in grandville. Going to pass on the 28th st lol

Thanks guys.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2011, 09:11:53 PM »
Clip ons have always been out of all but those who's profession requires the safety of the clip on.

Learn to tie a Windsor knot.  It looks clean and is fairly easy to tie once you learn how.  Don't be lazy and tie a Half Windsor knot.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2011, 09:48:26 PM »
Cool man thanks

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2011, 08:42:59 AM »
Clip ons have always been out of all but those who's profession requires the safety of the clip on.

Learn to tie a Windsor knot.  It looks clean and is fairly easy to tie once you learn how.  Don't be lazy and tie a Half Windsor knot.
I do the half windsor.  The difference in look is trivial IMO and I rarely wear ties so I can't really be bothered to learn a full windsor.

Like the others, I suggest a dark grey.  I personally like colored shirts but I am wearing a white one now (with tie).

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2011, 08:53:39 AM »
Depending on the tie, I'd think a half windsor would even look better

I wear ties maybe 2-3 times a year, so I've never learned a full windsor either

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2011, 09:37:52 AM »
The only tie that it might look better on is a stripped tie and only if the angle on the knot is the same the strips.

I haven't worn a tie in about two years (last time I did was during job interviews) but I could tie a full windsor in my sleep.  It is simple to do.

Edit: Thinking back, I learned to tie the knot in the military.  Outside of boot camp and the combat training school I don't think I wore the tie more than once or twice while in the military.  Damn them and their ingraining of muscle memory.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2011, 09:45:50 AM »
That's the same way I am with a half.

Being able to tie a tie should be a requirement to graduate high school.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2011, 09:57:44 AM »
Half-Windsor here.  I wear a tie so rarely these days I have trouble remembering how to tie it. 

Charcoal gray suit.  It works for any suit-occasion. 

Sports jackets can be lighter.  I have a couple and wear them semi-regularly.  Nice way to look classy without wearing a GD tie. 

If it were up to me I would put the boot to both ties and pennies.  Both are useless.  Even the Ferryman doesn't take pennies anymore.

webwhy

• Jackass IV
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2011, 10:04:17 AM »
Thinking back, I learned to tie the knot in the military
in what branch did you serve, Mike?  i thought the "four in hand" was the military knot.  that's what i learned in MCJROTC...maybe they keep it simpler for the high school kids

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2011, 10:07:00 AM »
Thinking back, I learned to tie the knot in the military
in what branch did you serve, Mike?  i thought the "four in hand" was the military knot.  that's what i learned in MCJROTC...maybe they keep it simpler for the high school kids
USMC

Half-Windsor here.  I wear a tie so rarely these days I have trouble remembering how to tie it. 
How can one forget how to tie a half windsor.  Two wraps and a tuck.  The only hard part is remembering the lengths.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2011, 10:36:19 AM »
You guys have convinced me to do a full windsor cause I'm betting everyone else won't lol