Author Topic: Rich People with Sticks  (Read 6900 times)

[stealth]

• the original
  • Jackass V
Rich People with Sticks
« on: January 21, 2007, 10:44:20 PM »
Who's a fan? Anyone here play?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 09:32:42 PM by Govtcheez »

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
Re: Golf
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 10:53:20 PM »
I like how you started this thread right after a big football game ended.

..And No, I think golf is ridiculously boring.  I was told when I was younger that I should play, but I thought I might fall asleep.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 11:25:11 PM »
I've started to play a bit more the last couple years. My dad was a golfer growing up and I thought now that I'm older it might be a good way to hang out with him. I played a bunch of new course this last summer. I'm not horribly great but you really don't have to be to enjoy the courses. If I could learn how to drive straight I'd shave lots of strokes off my score, but I only get about two good drives per round. I did a golf league at my previous job and got pretty good with my 6 iron and lower but the longer the shot the more of shank I get. I'm a pretty good putter though which helps.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 11:41:32 PM »
I golf from time to time, I'm alright. I don't watch it on TV or anything though.

[stealth]

• the original
  • Jackass V
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 11:46:35 PM »
I've only just gotten into it myself and I'm a bit hooked, but thankfully not so much as to blow money on a set just yet.  I've pretty decent with a 5 iron and my putting is pretty good - the last 9 I played I managed to put for par on three holes, which isn't bad for a n00b.  I haven't quite got the hang of using pitching wedge though - I seem to open the club face at the last second, slicing the bloody ball quite badly.  It's good fun.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 09:18:19 AM »
Eh... too expensive to play and I can never watch it on TV.  I have a slight desire to try it just so I can hob-nob with others at work... but I have yet to do so.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 09:41:54 AM »
I suck at it and don't play enough, but I enjoy it :)

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 10:11:24 AM »
I'm usually good for a few pars and the odd birdy. I can drive 250 - 300 yards with my 5 wood. The sad part is I generally can't hit that far, and definately not straight with my driver. I'm pretty good chipping around the green, and anything from 100 yards out, but my putting needs work.

I'll probably play on reading week when I'm in arizona.

drakkenkorin

• Jackass VI
    • http://www.google.com
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 10:48:15 AM »
>>I think golf is ridiculously boring<<

truer words have not been spoken!
"I know that when I get home from work, I like to read the paper, sip a nice glass of Cabernet, and call people faggots on the internet.  Because I'm an adult." - Govtcheez

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 01:07:46 PM »
I enjoy playing and watching. Of course, I'll play or watch any competition I possibly can so that shouldn't be a surprise.

I've been playing since I was like 12 or 13. Two of my parents played a lot, so my mom taught me and my dad took me out to play. The sucky part is that I just don't have time to play anymore. It really takes a full afternoon, and I don't have any of those. :(

I'm not all that good despite having played for so long. I generally get a bit over 100 if I play 18 holes. My driving is horribly inconsistent like tgm, but I've found that I can hit my 3 and 5 woods amazingly straight (at least compared to the rest of my clubs). The only time I played in the last year I didn't use my driver at all and had one of my best half-rounds ever.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2007, 05:37:38 PM »
I have 3 woods like most people, but I never ever use them.  I bought a hybrid club, and that works really well for my driving.  I've always hit irons better than woods, but I don't know why.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2007, 05:38:46 PM »
Because they're easier?

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2007, 05:56:08 PM »
>I bought a hybrid club, and that works really well for my driving.

ohhh yeah. My dad has one of those, I can drive with it almost as far as my woods, and it's very accurate. They hit off the fairway pretty well too.

[stealth]

• the original
  • Jackass V
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2007, 08:02:19 PM »
i have my own set of clubs now - my gf's brother gifted me an old set of his, the driver is a bit dodgy, but on the whole it's not a bad set (better than none at any rate!).  can't wait to break 'em in!

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2007, 02:52:39 PM »
Nice. Used clubs is a great way to get started.

I don't really have anything else to say. I like golf, so I wouldn't mind if the golf conversation continued.

:wave: