Author Topic: Cloud based IDE  (Read 4220 times)

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
Cloud based IDE
« on: June 22, 2013, 02:44:47 AM »
relevant to this conversation [edit, this topic was split from the conversation about Chromebooks], I started looking into cloud-based IDE's.  The first one I found is: shiftedit.net and I'm really impressed.  Kinda wish I found it before paying for phpDesigner8 earlier this year. 

A Chromebook is now on my wish list -- if I get one, I could easily see myself using it as my primary device at home.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 09:17:13 AM by micah »
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Re: Cloud based IDE
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 08:55:12 AM »
Micah, a coworker of mine tried to talk me into a cloud IDE and I checked out a few of them. If I was forced I would use codeanywhere. It was good enough but I still use php designer and probably would only use the cloud versions if I was on the road. They just cannot compete IMO.

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 07:34:50 PM »
Micah, a coworker of mine tried to talk me into a cloud IDE and I checked out a few of them. If I was forced I would use codeanywhere. It was good enough but I still use php designer and probably would only use the cloud versions if I was on the road. They just cannot compete IMO.

hmm, I'm starting to look into these more, it seems most of them are built off the same library and just charge different prices based on the features their willing to give.  Codeanywhere's free version isn't HTTPS which seems weird... I also looked into cloud9 which is a really nice interface but basically the exact same features as ShiftEdit (although, shiftEdit is only $5/mo for multiple projects + revision managment versus $12 for cloud9's six "workspaces" and revisions supposedly included in the free version but I can't get them to work.)

So I guess its a matter of research at this point to find out who is the best value and most reputable.  I agree with your point though -- I think I'll stick with my installed software (unless I get a Chromebook someday and require the online IDE)
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 12:31:00 PM »
The two cloud coding environments I'm looking into are Codenvy and Cloud9. Cloud9 seems better based on the Ace Editor (http://ace.ajax.org/#nav=production) but Codenvy has better deploy features from a glance. I might just do a bunch of stuff right out of Github and Bitbucket since they both have editors now too. It's the deploying that's the slightly trickier.

However, we lost power this weekend so my plans were foiled by nature. We're still without power possibly until Wed so I won't be playing around anytime soon. The one day I did get with it was pretty cool. I used Crouton to install a chroot Ubuntu CLI for a few things and it works great. So I have the basic ChromeOS and a Linux shell which should get me just about everything I need to do (like managing certs etc). So far I really like this little guy.
This signature intentionally left blank.

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 03:47:36 PM »
I've been using ShiftEdit for 3 months now, and its been my exclusive IDE at work for the last 6 to 8 weeks.  Unfortunately, in the middle of working 5 minutes ago I got this:

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 04:06:13 PM »
Well that kinda blows.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 10:09:06 PM »
Wow, they did a really shitty job on the outline of that photo

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 11:03:59 AM »
Shiftedit lets you set up a "site" that saves to your dropbox account instead of FTPing to a webserver.  I never bothered using the option previously because, while dropbox will nicely display html/css/javascript from a shared link, it can not serve PHP pages.

Then today I had a revelation:  what if my dropbox folder was in my localhost folder?  Then I thought, what if it wasn't but I set up an alias symbolic link?! then I googled it and found this: http://gutsup.tumblr.com/post/18368141819/getting-apache-to-host-dropbox-files-on-a-mac

Holy Fart it works!  So now I have a true dev setup with online backup!  I edit pages in ShiftEdit which saves to dropbox which syncs to the dropbox folder on my computer which servers the page via my local apache installation.  Then I use a traditional FTP client to push the updates out to the production server from my local dropbox folder.

I haven't set this up at home on my windows PC but I assume it should be just as straight forward.

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 09:02:12 AM »
So my new job requires (as well it should) a proper source control work flow, which means no more FTP.  Everything is hosted SVN (moving to git.)  So I really need to work locally then push my changes.  So shiftEdit is out for that.

Cloud 9 just relaunched a new version on Friday. I still don't love it and they want $19/mo which is pretty steep for me.

I signed up for the free version of codio.com which I really like.  You can spin up an online virtual machine to work "locally" and then command line SVN to deploy.  The layout is easy to use and the documentation is good.  Only problem is the non-free version (which I'd need to work on more than 1 site) is $8/mo but when I tried to sign up the bank kept refusing the subscription.  Either because my debit card doesn't like subscriptions or because they're in England.  I e-mailed their support and asked if I could do month-to-month payments or pay with paypal (which is what I've used with shiftedit) but they said I should just talk to my bank.  I don't know if its worth it for me to do that extra leg work. Seems like a kind of annoying barrier to entry.

Anyway, I'm going to keep using the free version for one site I'm working on.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 07:32:52 PM »
Oh god, FTP?  Was your last job requiring you to use notepad too??

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 09:49:43 AM »
LOL. Yeah, we had zero source control and had to be careful not to overwrite other people's changes every time you uploaded a file.  I started using git at the end, but there was resistance to change.  One of the many reasons I felt it was time to move on.

Anyway, day two of trying to sign up for Codio.  I transferred the $8 I need to one of my low-balance online accounts (eg, my usaa checking account that I never use) and signed up again.  This time it failed because I had insufficient funds.  When I check the account it showed I had more than $8 and that Codio did a pre-auth for $1.70.  I contacted Codio and they said the $1.70 is a pre-auth and then they take out the $8.  In other words, you need $9.70 in the account to sign up.   :wall:  I transferred another $2 to the account and will try again later I guess.

Meanwhile, last night I had to get some work done that I hadn't been able to finish up during the day.  After the kids when to bed, I put on season four of 24, grabbed a couple beers, opened up my chromebook and used Codio to make my updates. I tested them on codio's box and then command line committed them to our dev server.  So freaking easy!