Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Open Discussion / Re: Eclipse 2024
« Last post by charlie on April 07, 2024, 08:36:27 PM »
Sweet.

Weather forecast is good?
« Last post by Mike on April 07, 2024, 04:04:20 PM »
Oh man, that would have been a great trip.

So, we got to our destination and the town has really prepared for this. They've got five viewing spots set up and shuttles for them. I think we are going to go to the community college that is really close and attend the talk beforehand.
« Last post by charlie on April 06, 2024, 08:51:47 PM »
Bowling Green. My plan was to stay Sunday night somewhere near the exact path and then Saturday or Tuesday go to her old hometown. Maybe also stop in Toronto or Chicago or something to make it a proper trip.

Funny thing was I saw a tiktok that said the two best weather locations right now look like Ohio Valley and Northern Maine. My other option was to visit an old family friend in Northern Maine. Doh!

:(
« Last post by ober on April 06, 2024, 12:41:43 AM »
Northwest Ohio?  I'm in NEO and that's in the totality.  Whereabouts were you headed?
« Last post by charlie on April 05, 2024, 11:32:47 PM »
My wife spent most of her childhood in northwest Ohio and we've always talked about taking a trip to see where she grew up. But we never ended up doing it.

But then I found out that her old hometown is in the path of totality for this eclipse. AND it's happening during the week of our kids' spring break. It's perfect. She only has to take a couple days off and we can all go experience the eclipse in person and also be able to finally get to see where she grew up.

Alas, for several reasons we never actually decided to do it and never booked the trip. So I'll be at home seeing 30% coverage through my possibly fake eclipse glasses we got from Amazon if I get lucky and that day is the one day we aren't completely covered by clouds.

Kinda sad it didn't work out. That would have been one of the rare trips where I was the most excited to go.
« Last post by Mike on April 05, 2024, 01:37:29 PM »
My parents are coming out from PA. I am in the 100% totality path.  They shut down all the schools and they are ramping up police and EMS ahead of it.  It's supposed to be nuts around here.  My plan is to hunker down until all the people GTFO lol.

That is part of the reason I avoided the larger cities, I knew it'd be just nuts. It's also why I'm coming in the day before and leaving the day after.
« Last post by ober on April 05, 2024, 10:40:19 AM »
My parents are coming out from PA. I am in the 100% totality path.  They shut down all the schools and they are ramping up police and EMS ahead of it.  It's supposed to be nuts around here.  My plan is to hunker down until all the people GTFO lol.
« Last post by Jake on April 05, 2024, 08:43:36 AM »
it's cool, I guess, but I don't get why people are going completely nuts over it. Day like any other day, as far as I am concerned.

this map is awesome though

Open Discussion / Eclipse 2024
« Last post by Mike on April 04, 2024, 06:35:32 PM »
IIRC several of you are near the path of totality.  Anyone doing anything for it?

My wife and I are flying to Memphis and driving up Poplar Bluff, MO for it.  After the 2017 eclipse I decided I wanted to travel to experience the totality and had it on my calendar since then. Back in July I made our travel plans.

Really hoping the weather holds as it is supposed to be raining on Sunday and Tuesday but only partially cloudy on Monday.
Open Discussion / Re: AAAAAAyy Eye
« Last post by charlie on March 22, 2024, 02:36:20 AM »
Our company is talking about it a fair amount. I didn't really think it would do much for our system but my colleague just updated me on a side-project he did that fully integrated ai into our tool and used it for some reasonably interesting things. I guess I'll have to do a deeper dive into capabilities.

My kid is going into CS. I'm not sure it's the best choice for her but I don't mind it. Whether she's doing the programming or just understanding how to generate it, it would be good to learn the theory.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10