Author Topic: Govtcheez gettin unfat! ver. a million update: he fatr  (Read 140961 times)

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
Re: Govtcheez gettin unfat! ver. a million update: he fatr
« Reply #840 on: July 15, 2014, 09:03:40 PM »
Probably not tomorrow. I'm really glad this is an easy week. This next month of increasing mileage and hitting 10-12 mi long runs are exhausting just thinking about it.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #841 on: July 16, 2014, 07:54:41 AM »
I dunno, a lot of half training programs have 10 miles as your longest training run, especially for a first half.  You must be on a pretty aggressive training plan.  Don't sweat it about the increased distance - if you're nailing your runs now, going from 8 to 10 or even 12 is nothing.  It's just another 20 minutes out there.  Slow down if you need to, stay calm, and know that you can do it

I was in a real shitty mood last night and almost skipped my run, but so glad I didn't.  The return of the POLAR VORTEX gave some absolute perfect weather, so I did a little extra and watched the sun set. 

6.66 miles @ 8:32/mi
http://app.strava.com/activities/166629463

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #842 on: July 21, 2014, 08:10:34 AM »
I managed not to skip any of my runs while on vacation somehow.  Running with a hangover is awful, but it really destroys the hangover when you're done.  Then I got home yesterday afternoon and promptly skipped my Sunday run

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #843 on: July 22, 2014, 07:12:55 AM »
Do you ever go out on a run thinking "oh this will take me xx minutes" and you come back realizing it took you a lot less? I'm really used to using 10 minute miles to estimate my run times, but I guess that's really not true for my shorter runs anymore.

The very fact that 4 miles is a shorter run now feels absurd.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #844 on: July 22, 2014, 07:21:48 AM »
Yep, all the time :)  I actually tell my wife when to expect me back based on a 10 minute pace just in case I feel like wandering a little

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #846 on: July 28, 2014, 07:49:26 AM »
I was a very good boy last week, did all my workouts (though I didn't go the total distance, I guess).  Yesterday I did a cool trail run with a guy from my running facebook group.  He's much much faster than me (has BQed twice!) but was content to just plod slowly behind me.
http://app.strava.com/activities/172017350

This weekend I've got a race on Saturday morning and that evening I'm going for a night trail run with the guy I'm pacing on the hundred.  Figure I should at least meet him before he entrusts his life to me after he's run 50 miles.  The race is one I've run twice before; it was my first half two years ago.

http://app.strava.com/activities/114446890
http://app.strava.com/activities/72097578

I'm not planning to push it too much, but it would be nice to go sub-2 on it. Not sure I've got the legs for it right now and I certainly haven't been training towards this race (I signed up a week ago) but it'll be fun regardless.  I hope there are less bees this year

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #847 on: July 28, 2014, 01:48:43 PM »
a running festival where I'll be doing the half, 5K, and two 5 milers (but mostly I'll be drinking beer and cheering for people and partying),
I guess I didn't mention I'm no longer doing this.  A dude from my FB running group has asked me to pace him on his hundred miler so I'm doing that instead of the half.  Still running the fun runs and drinking and partying, just running 17 miles in the dark instead of doing the half.  If anyone wants to run a half marathon in early September, let me know!  I don't get a medal or a shirt, but he's buying me a sixpack as a thank you.

(i almost wrote sexpack)

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #848 on: July 28, 2014, 01:58:53 PM »
My mind can't comprehend the idea of running 100 miles.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #849 on: July 28, 2014, 02:10:11 PM »
I have a hard time with it as well.  The farthest race this guy has ever done is a 50 miler (imposing in its own right), which is just about where I'll start off with him.  It'll also be about 3-4 in the morning, so he'll have run all night by himself before he picks up with me.  I want to be as helpful as possible when I'm with him, but it will be interesting

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #850 on: July 30, 2014, 11:23:01 AM »
63 miles in June, I fucking suck
I should hit 108 or so this month, I suck slightly less.  Had a good track workout last night. http://app.strava.com/activities/172974891

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #851 on: August 04, 2014, 08:11:16 AM »
Had a race on Saturday, the third time I've done this particular half: http://app.strava.com/activities/175239387

Two years ago, it was my very first half.  It was hot as hell and I twisted my ankle badly on a downhill.  Last year, I was a month out from my marathon and the weather was perfect.  I took it easy and finished in 2:03 or so.  This year, I'm not quite as far along as I was fitness-wise and it was humid and super muddy on the trails, but I thought I ran a pretty solid race at 2:07.  The person that won ran a 1:15, which is mind boggling, considering the mud.

I also got to finally meet the guy I'm going to be pacing in the 100.  I finished ahead of him by about 10 minutes, so at least my fear of not being able to keep up with him at the 100 was probably unfounded.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #852 on: August 13, 2014, 07:47:34 AM »
Got a new toy over the weekend.  I wasn't happy with a number of things about my Forerunner220 and there was no risk with REI's return policy, so I swapped it for an Ambit2R.  And of course there are immediately some things I don't like about it either, but the accuracy seems to be a lot better.  It creates cool graphs on their website, too.  My wife says I'll never be happy with a watch and she's probably right.

Anyways, here's last night's workout at the local track.  800m warmup, 1000x5 @ <7:45 pace, 400m rests.  Beautiful evening for a run, kind of breezy, cool, sprinkling rain.  The high school football team was practicing on the infield.  A sure sign of being old is that I'm pretty sure it was the varsity team but they all looked like they were 12.

http://www.movescount.com/moves/move38071295

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #853 on: August 13, 2014, 06:02:18 PM »
Aw, I get an error page.

My Forerunner 210 lost signal twice last Saturday on my 11 miler. The second time I was in an area without any real cover, so I was pretty upset it didn't at least get my entire return trip back to my car. And lately it's been messing up my location in general. I've been considering another watch as well, but I really don't know if I want to pay for that right now. Bleh.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #854 on: August 14, 2014, 08:21:53 AM »
I've never had my watch lose signal after it had already acquired it, with either my 210 or 220.  When was the last time you rebooted it?  I would get a situation where it took awhile to find a satellite, said it had one, and then never actually started tracking me when I got running.  Rebooting it helped.