Author Topic: Ceramic coating  (Read 4588 times)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
Ceramic coating
« on: October 06, 2020, 03:18:41 PM »
Hey Knuck, what do you think about that ceramic coating? do you recommend it, if so, which one?
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
Re: Ceramic coating
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2020, 08:50:50 AM »
I have installed four in the last year and a half.

Ceramic coatings.  Installed with proper preparation.  Are like having your paint freshly waxed every day for a couple of years.

How would you get one installed?  You or a qualified vendor? 

Really fast basic prep.  Foam strip, decontaminate, clay, physical wash and dry, 85 t0 95% correction polish, chem wipe down, (optional but important Gyeon Primer polish), dry wipe down.  This is time

Coating I use Gyeon Syncro.  This is very easy, but due to the curing times required, eliminates the use of your vehicle for a couple of days.  Ceramic coat one, wait an hour, ceramic coat two, wait four hours, top coat, immediately repeat, wait overnight at least if you can give it twenty four hours all the better.  This covers all painted and hard plastic surfaces.  It also works on NON THE WINDSHIELD glass surfaces, however there is a dedicated glass product that I would suggest instead.

So last week Mike Kelly (for Benny) and we took his ten year old, never maintained Subaru, prepped it, and put Syncro on it.  Results attached. 

So this is very long term.  Installed it on my LS last May and despite 25K miles, spending half its life in the parking lot at work, and washing it as normal.  The water still just beads up and blows off.  Nothing dirt wise sticks and is difficult to wash off.  The only real exception is the front bumper and head lights which I seal with another Gyeon product that after a wash, you wet the surface mist it on, and rinse it off.  Good for another couple of months. 

I have checked out a few coatings both ceramic and "graphene".  No doubt in my mind that at the price point Gyeon Syncro has no parallel.  Their added topper and booster (which my paint has not required yet) has no competitor.  It is a mid priced option not cheap and not exotic.  They tell you two years of protection and I have seen no paint wear at a year and a half. 

Most people avoid them professionally due to installation costs either personal or professional.  However if you want serious protection for your paint, trim, and wheels there has never been anything to compare.  Demand Gyeon Syncro though.

Thoughts?

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2020, 10:39:09 AM »
wow, thanks for the detailed response. It does seem like a lengthy process, but with results like that, it might be worth a weekend. I think I understand all the steps except this one " 85 t0 95% correction polish" - can you elaborate?
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2020, 09:48:39 AM »
Polishing is the real art there eh?

This is no different than sanding is for woodworking at its core.

So why polish?  Polishing prepares surfaces by removing dead/oxidized paint/clearcoat/plastic.  When you wax, seal, or coat and the underlying surface is compromised it fails quickly and really does not add significant protection.

When I polish I remove most or all of the dimmed clearcoat, spiderweb type scratches you see in the sun, and within reason deeper defects in the paint such as rock strikes or deeper scratches.  This, done well makes the paint, hard plastic, and even glass surfaces look as good as or in some cases better than it looked new. Further it provides a surface that the last step protection LSP can adhere to for a very long time.

That help any?  Questions?

I did check with the detailing group to see what the folks that install coatings professionally charge.  Prices generally hovered in the $1500 to $3000 range depending on all sorts of factors.  So, doing it yourself would pay for the gear the first go.  For most people it is a matter of taking the time to learn, apply, and the actual effort to perform the work necessary.

I can walk you through the process and suggest gear if you wish.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 10:10:16 AM by KnuckleBuckett »

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2020, 12:40:00 AM »
so turns out that the dealership put ceramic coating on the vehicle already - but just one coat. They want $1800 to do two more coats. What's your advice?

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2020, 08:41:58 AM »
Right.  Sure they did.  Bet they are bullshitting you or at the very least didn't prep the paint.  NO WAY do I trust the dealership for this.  I can't tell you the number of dealership folks I have talked to over the years over their multi-year coatings, lifetime protection, etc.  Almost all are BS.  I can think of one.  One that actually works with customers to coat the car after sale or as a service from the dealership.  They are separate entities but close physically.  Find a detailer in your area and have them do it. 

Also if you are going to coat a vehicle, the coating kit is always enough for two to three full coats.  After opening, it goes bad in short order and cannot be used again.  Applying the coating is the fast and easy part.  One coat.  Total bull. 

Is this a new vehicle?

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2020, 07:02:05 PM »
Yes, new vehicle. I can tell you one thing, I washed it last week and I've never had a car that looked as clean as this one did after the wash.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2020, 08:47:22 AM »
Get a polisher and the accessories and do your own.  It is way easier from new.  I can walk you through the stuff.  You got out of FB right?

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2020, 08:37:03 AM »
C'mon man you can do it!

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2020, 11:15:43 AM »
I did get out of FB - only have a page for my smoked meats "business". As for the ceramic coating - I think that will be a late fall project when things slow down for us a bit :)