Author Topic: Nuclear power plants  (Read 4275 times)

[stealth]

• the original
  • Jackass V
Nuclear power plants
« on: November 20, 2006, 11:40:21 PM »
How many of you live near one or know someone who does? Do you think it is a good thing or a bad thing (or is it somewhere inbetween, that shade of colour that we live in). 

The reason I ask is the Australian Federal Government is pushing for up to 25 plants down the eastern cost of Australia as part of a plan to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.  The way that our local and state governments have completely cocked up managing our water, health, road and education infrastructure I think this has disaster written all over it..

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: Nuclear power plants
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 07:05:34 AM »
They're extremely safe, clean ways of generating power and there should be far more of them then there are.

edit: Off the top of my head, I can think of at least 2-3 nuke plants in my state, and there's another one just over the border in Ohio.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 08:49:11 AM by Govtcheez »

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 08:54:41 AM »
IIRC the only real problem with them is the waste product, oh and the chance that the US will invade you to stop the program.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 09:42:14 AM »
I agree with Govtcheez, they are safe and a great alternative fuel.  Great for the enviornment and all that good stuff.

I'll assume Mike is joking, because I can't believe he'd be ignorant enough to actually believe the later part of his statement.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 09:55:14 AM »
I agree with Govtcheez, they are safe and a great alternative fuel.  Great for the enviornment and all that good stuff.
See, I'm not a whacko hippie liberal on everything! :p Course I may be biased here because I've worked for utilities for the last 7 years (jesus), but there's no reason that a first world country like Australia shouldn't be able to run this in a completely safe manner.  Chernobyl happened 20 years ago in a Cold War Soviet Union that was already on the decline, and even there the stars had to line up just right to get it to explode.  There's no real reason to expect it to happen anywhere else in this day and age.

Speaking as a whacko hippie liberal, I'm pretty disappointed in my whacko hippie liberal brethren's total opposition to nuke plants.  IMO, it seems to be based mostly on fear and a near total lack of education about how they actually work.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 09:59:09 AM by Govtcheez »

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 10:01:52 AM »
Show me a safe waste fuel disposal method, and I'll back you to the hilt.

Hint: Shipping to the UK doesn't count. :p

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 10:06:08 AM »
Can we send it to Ireland?

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 10:07:02 AM »
Of course!

edit>> Southern Ireland.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2006, 10:12:30 AM »
I used to live close to one (Harrisburg, PA... Three Mile Island anyone?)

I honestly wish people really would get more educated on the topic.  I think it's the way to go.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2006, 10:44:18 AM »
If Australia somehow botches this, at least that gets us that much closer to Mad Max.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2006, 10:47:41 AM »
Yes micah I was kidding.  Really the only draw back to nuke power is the waste products.  I'm not sure if the "costs" of the waste products outweighs the "costs" of conventional planets with their emissions.

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2006, 10:56:44 AM »
i assumed so :-)

Anyway, I'm pretty sure the citizens of Australia, and the rest of the world, can sleep safetly with this decision.  They're not some 3rd world country - I'm sure they'll be able to handle all aspects of process.  Especially with advancements in technology, constrution methods and security that have all improved in the last 30 years since the US built most of our plants.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Silent Bob

• Jackass II
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2006, 11:02:39 AM »
The best solution to the waste products is to bury it in abandoned mines, or if you've played to much Masters of Orion 2 - Core Waste Dumps. Emissions form coal fired plants do include radioactive material anyway from impurities in the coal, depends a lot on where your coal is from but of course and there are the chimney scrubbers to catch as much as possible.

And of course fissile material is a finite resource and is decaying anyway. May as well use it.
And iirc Aus has its own uranium reserves.

Chernobyl was the result of doing experiments on a live nuclear reactor.
Bought to you by an awful lot of monkeys a plethora of cheap PC's and a proofreader.

Experiments are under way to see if certain conditions and stimuli lead to better Monkey Typed Posts.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2006, 11:11:18 AM »
  They're not some 3rd world country - I'm sure they'll be able to handle all aspects of process.  Especially with advancements in technology, constrution methods and security that have all improved in the last 30 years since the US built most of our plants.
You'll eat your words as soon as a kangaroo gets into the core.

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2006, 11:32:43 AM »
LOL,  for some reason when you said that my mind went straight Jurassic Park and Velociraptors.

I can picture the stupid techno-thriller story line:  We must shut down the reactor before the killer kangaroo's get off the continent!