Author Topic: Nuclear power plants  (Read 4276 times)

[stealth]

• the original
  • Jackass V
Re: Nuclear power plants
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2006, 06:44:27 PM »
One thing that's also an issue is that we are in our worst drought in 100 years.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the cooling process rely heavily on water?

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2006, 09:07:13 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the cooling process rely heavily on water?
I honestly don't know much about the process - but I don't think it needs an endless stream of running water (like with hydro electric).

I assume they could probably use sea water if drought was an issue  :dunno:

EDIT: did anyone else recently re-read this topic title and think it was a thread about "Nuclear Powered Plants?"  like, plants that no longer require photosynthesis for their own energy but instead relied on fusion bi-product?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 09:09:29 PM by micah »
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2006, 10:29:00 PM »
Of course, we could always give this a go.

*Laughs hysterically*

Oh, sorry. It appears they're serious :rolleyes:
Nut jobs, Laws of thermodynamics.  Laws of thermodynamics, nut jobs.  I hope you two get together soon.

Oh a related note it turns out that my idea (which I can't tell you) was validated by several major universities which won't go on record.  But send me money because obviously I know what I'm talking about.

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2006, 02:53:07 AM »
That's the odd thing though Mike - they don't appear to be asking for money or investors. I really don't get it.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2006, 07:16:36 AM »
 o-t: Rob, I just noticed your signature line. Thats like one of my all time favorite movies!  :thumbsup:
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Rob

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2006, 08:52:26 AM »
I wondered who would spot it first!

Ken Fitlike

• Jackass V
  • Ebeneezer McScrooge
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2006, 12:14:15 PM »
Topical - but I needed a prompt from micah and google to tell me wtf it was.

>>but doesn't the cooling process rely heavily on water?<<

Only if it's water cooled. But you can use sea water, provided you take the sea out and leave just the water. ;)

Nuclear power plants are really just big kettles - despite the years of technological advancement mentioned earlier in the thread by Rob. The only thing that's really changed is the nastiness of the burns you can get when things go wrong. And the cancers. And birth defects. And Godzilla.
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?.

[stealth]

• the original
  • Jackass V
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2006, 09:42:00 PM »
>>And the cancers. And birth defects. And Godzilla.<<

:rofl:

A Bit of Fruit

• loves threads ALL ABOUT HIM!!
  • Jackass V
  • Frontier Psychiatrist
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2006, 10:03:04 AM »
Those guys from the Steorn website are retards. Nobody on the forum understands any physics. I actually downloaded their video and this guy is a joke "quite simply the analogy would be, you know, you walk to the top of the hill and you walk back down to bottom of the hill, but in doing that you've gained energy". What the hell. This guy obviously never even did rudementary science in high school.

As far as nuclear power goes, I think people have an irrational fear of it due to all the stuff about nuclear bombs and nuclear meltdowns they've seen on tv. I think if people were educated about the fission process as well as how a nulcear reactor works, they would be able to have an educated opinion rather than just simply dismissing it because of the fact that 'nuclear' is a dirty word in our society.
i have a stationary fetish

Rob

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2006, 10:27:54 AM »
Those guys from the Steorn website are retards. Nobody on the forum understands any physics. I actually downloaded their video and this guy is a joke "quite simply the analogy would be, you know, you walk to the top of the hill and you walk back down to bottom of the hill, but in doing that you've gained energy". What the hell. This guy obviously never even did rudementary science in high school.

You're absolutely correct. I just really don't get it. Is it like some big social experiment to see how many people they can fool or something. For some reason I'm reminded of the Emperors new clothes :dunno:

If it's an April Fool then it's a damned expensive one.

Ken Fitlike

• Jackass V
  • Ebeneezer McScrooge
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2006, 10:58:55 AM »
>>I think people have an irrational fear<<

No, people have very rational fears because they understand that when a problem occurs in a nuclear power plant/reprocessing facility it can have effects that can last for thousands if not millions of years. For this they don't need any kind of knowledge of physics but a natural inclination to distrust the lies of politicians who claim it's a 'safe' technology. And personal experience.

After Chernobyl it rained here twice(the wind changed direction and sent the rain back for a second dose). I used to bump into guys in the middle of nowhere in the Scottish highlands armed with geiger-counters measuring the fallout years after; to my knowledge they still are periodically checking.

No offence, Chris, but like all undergraduates you're living in a scientific cocoon - at the level you're doing physics it's all intended to demonstrate laws and principles and to give you practical, theoretical and experimental experience for when you graduate and have to deal with real world problems that will annoyingly deviate from modelling expectations.

The step back towards nuclear power - fission reactors specifically - is a political one; economically it costs an absolute fortune, but a fortune that politicians conveniently dilute by separating mining, refining, enrichment, reprocessing and reactor decomissioning costs from maintenance when they're trying to sell the idea to an understandably reluctant electorate.

If you're studying physics, surely you understand that boiling water to drive steam turbines is a pretty inefficient way to generate electricity, particularly given that alternatives exist which have not had the level of state funding that nuclear (fission) has enjoyed over the last half-century. Photovoltaics and fuel cells(which are incredibly efficient) in particular are worthy of mention in this regard; the former must surely be of interest to a country such as Australia with large tracts of empty, sunny desert.

In any event, a shift away from monolithic power generation and expensive transmission(the real efficiency crippler) certainly needs closer examination in my view; I'd personally be more interested in buying a home power system than suffering increasing price hikes and disrupted service from power companies.

One fission reactor on the planet is enough to supply radioisotopes for medical, agricultural and other civilian applications; make it a fast breeder and you further limit the ecological damage of mining and concentrating uranium ores.

Disclaimer: I didn't read the webpage in question but I trust it's as full of misconceptions as you state.
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?.

A Bit of Fruit

• loves threads ALL ABOUT HIM!!
  • Jackass V
  • Frontier Psychiatrist
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2006, 06:57:16 PM »
When people think nuclear power they think Chernobyl, but things are very different now and the chances of another Chernobyl are extremely slim, from what ive read and seen, due to reactor design and safety protocols.

I honestly dont know about the cost/its viability against other alternatives regarding cost, but it shits me off when people post signs saying "Say no to Nuclear power, dont let another Chernobyl happen" around campus when they have no idea what happened at Chernobyl or the chances of it happenning again.

I will admit that physics is taught as a series of simplified models which rarely work in real life, though ;)
i have a stationary fetish