Author Topic: Tiny Laptops  (Read 5629 times)

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
Tiny Laptops
« on: September 30, 2008, 02:26:29 PM »
Anyone played with any of these new tiny laptops companies are putting out? The Acer one is only about $300 CDN and is available with a light-weight linux distro pre-installed. I've been toying with the idea of picking one up for when I'm traveling.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Re: Tiny Laptops
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 02:34:28 PM »
Not very comfortable imo, and the screens hurt my eyes. I mean a standard 15in laptop isnt that much to travel with, and its all out laptop. I have always had 17inch notebooks and even those dont bother me. My current is a 17in HP (2.0GHZ 64bit/4GB/160GB) fully loaded and it doesnt weigh more then 3, maybe 4 pounds. I have handguns that weigh more then this does.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 03:05:13 PM »
If you don't plan on doing anything useful with them I guess they're alright. I'd rather have an iPhone or something if I'm doing serious stuff. If I'm traveling, the smallest I'd go is a 14". It has to have a full size keyboard or it just ain't worth it.
I say unless you really have a need, check out the 14" Dells or something. They're only a little bit more and you get a way better laptop.

Not to mention those little tiny ones are hotter than the sun.

For a bit more $$$
(I might even go with one of the 13" ones jkim got, I think they have a full keyboard).
This signature intentionally left blank.

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 09:02:13 PM »
I'm pretty sure mine is a full keyboard.  And I don't believe your laptop weight for one second, RoD.

One of my friends has a tiny laptop, and while it's mighty light, the screen and keyboard sizes just aren't worth it for anyone else who tries to use it.  To each his own.  If it's really that cheap and you don't plan on making it your primary, then I guess as long as it's light and works, it should be fine, right?

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 09:49:52 PM »
I'm pretty sure mine is a full keyboard.  And I don't believe your laptop weight for one second, RoD.

I'm visiting a client tomm that has a security checkpoint it has too go thru and i know their machines does weight so i'll ask them but im pretty sure im right

edit: hp says 6.8lbs.....no f'n way
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 10:00:10 PM »
... in light of this new information, I'm going
to have to side with the post office lady.

:lol:

they were weighed jackass. i still think she just wanted to be a bitch. i purposely shipped them with masking tape just to annoy her.

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 12:45:18 AM »
Dude, my laptop is like 4 pounds.  If your 17" laptop is lighter than mine, I want a goddamn refund.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 10:33:22 AM »
Dude, my laptop is like 4 pounds.  If your 17" laptop is lighter than mine, I want a goddamn refund.

it was close, apparently. HP says 6.8, the x-ray/scale/scanning security machines say its 4.5 lbs. Thats two different machines, same result. I dont know how HP weighs them but these machines are for identifying bombs and shit and cost more then most of our cars so im going to say its accurate.