Nothing & Everything > Open Discussion

Coronavirus COVID-19

(1/104) > >>

Jake:
thoughts?

this is a cool map: https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

It is already disrupting the supply chain in my industry - lead times on equipment are 3 to 5 months where they were 3 to 6 weeks before.

Either way, if you don't have a home emergency food/water supply - this is a good time to think about it. Even if nothing happens out of this, it is good to have 3-7 days of things on hand.

I don't think it will be "deadly" here in North America, but I think it will affect economy and industry significantly.

KnuckleBuckett:
It doesn't seem to be a super dangerous like SARS or Ebola I suppose.  Sure spreads easily though.  I think that it will go on well past 2020 and the economic effects will depend upon how well we learn to manage it.

This has been floating around.  https://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/aAgLBRZ_700bwp.webp

Seems like this would be right up Jen's alley...

ober:
I think it's sort of being blown out of proportion.  Based on the numbers, it's not even as deadly as the normal flu from what I heard.  Yes it spreads but so does the normal flu.  Maybe I'm missing something but I think we'd all be better off if this was just treated like another strain of what we get every year.

micah:

--- Quote from: ober on February 27, 2020, 09:15:27 AM ---I think it's sort of being blown out of proportion.  Based on the numbers, it's not even as deadly as the normal flu from what I heard.  Yes it spreads but so does the normal flu.  Maybe I'm missing something but I think we'd all be better off if this was just treated like another strain of what we get every year.

--- End quote ---

I agree with this, but would caveat that this hyper awareness is a great way to also stop the spread of the flu and other, more common viruses.  Screening at airports and forced quarantine, required hand washing in certain areas or normalizing the wearing of protective masks, could all help reduce easily transmitted pathogens. There's a balance there somewhere between an abundance-of-caution and civil/personal liberties...but this is an interesting real-world case study of how we can prepare for both pandemic and regional-viral outbreaks.

charlie:
Here's one image on current potential infection and fatality rate:

I personally don't see people freaking out yet but it's legitimately a big story and they can't really be sure yet how bad it can get. Worth monitoring here in the U.S. and hopefully health officials are preparing.

--- Quote from: KnuckleBuckett on February 27, 2020, 06:14:34 AM ---This has been floating around.  https://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/aAgLBRZ_700bwp.webp

--- End quote ---

Some very bad logic in that infographic. :eek:

--- Quote from: ober on February 27, 2020, 09:15:27 AM ---Based on the numbers, it's not even as deadly as the normal flu from what I heard.

--- End quote ---

Even if this is true, the flu kills a lot of people! We should do more to work on that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version