Nothing & Everything > Open Discussion

Covid-19 mental health check-in

(1/25) > >>

Jake:
I want to separate this topic from the main virus thread. I don't know about you guys, but I am feeling pretty anxious, and I bet I'm not alone. How is everyone holding up? What is your thought process about it all?

I'm not afraid of the virus itself, but I am afraid of the aftermath, as far as the economy is concerned. We have savings, but eventually that will run out...I think I'm getting ahead of myself quite a bit, and hopefully sometime in the summer we'll be back to something resembling normalcy, but what if we're not. Do I stop paying off monthly credit card balances to conserve cash? If so, when should I start. Give it a month or so?

While walking the dog this morning I thought about starting a journal for the duration of this thing. Maybe that will help a bit with coping.

Mike:
I'm certainly nervous and feeling a bit insecure.  I'm not worried too much about the money aspect as I don't see my job going away.  Our school with adapt and going even more online requires even more technology.  And I don't see businesses not accepting cards anymore.

For more it is typical uncertainty anxiety.  I can plan/work through most issues if I know what they are.  But this, this is just a ton of uncertainty where I can't plan anything.

Edit:
One thing that helps is that I have this view working from home

jkim:
I'm anxious.

I'm still commuting into work because I have a ton of in-hospital work over the six weeks. A server migration and application upgrade 3/29, intracycle auditing "due" 3/31 (actual date is in April, but it needs to be reviewed as a whole prior to final submission), and a large upgrade involving a big UI change to another major application happening 5/3. I'm in the middle of coordinating testing for these projects while getting bombarded with requests and changes for Coronavirus testing that we're building.

I would be alternating on/off WFH but my single analyst, which I share a 10'x8' office with, is out sick until he's received an all clear from the CoV testing he had done (why am I still working?) which could be another week.

Daycare is still open for the time being. I don't like sending C to daycare right now, even if there are only 3 other kids in his class. But I have no idea how any work would get done with both of us trying to work from home with a toddler who only wants to sit on our laps and watch YouTube if we're on our computers.

We'll figure out money. We'll figure out care. We'll figure out food and logistics and all that shit. I'm just tired and tired of being on edge. These empty streets are so fucking weird.

ober:
I'm honestly not that anxious about this.  Sure I don't want to get sick or whatever but my family is currently safe, we have what we need, and we have the space to spread out and we're all involved in work/school but in a different format.

I know my work situation is better than a lot of people so maybe that gives me a better feeling of security?  The only thing that has really changed is that I'm working from home, the kids don't leave the house, and we don't go to any of our normal activities.  The rest of day to day life is generally similar. 

We'll get through this.  Yes there will be fallout in a number of ways but things could be worse.  A lot worse.  I've seen a lot of positive things happening and I think this will honestly open some people's eyes to some stuff that has been swept under the rug for a while.  I don't want to say that we 'needed' this but it is a good wakeup call.  This won't be the last big virus to sweep the world.  Scientists have been saying stuff like this is a matter of if, not when, for years.  We're lucky this virus isn't more brutal.  We could have 200k+ dead, not just sick.

Count your blessings, keep your chin up.  That's all I'm saying.

micah:
I'm not super stressed, more annoyed with all the shut downs and anxious about the aftermath in the coming months (and years?)
My girlfriend, who already has anxiety about a ton of stuff, is really worried that I'm going to get sick and die because of my diabetes.  Like the other night she was awake like half the night worrying.
That said, I actually called my dr's office this morning and scheduled a phone visit with him for this afternoon because I've been having some (probably not coronavirus) symptoms the past few days that are a little worrisome even to me.
So now my anxiety is up quite a bit too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version