Author Topic: Anything like dropbox?  (Read 5002 times)

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
Re: Anything like dropbox?
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2010, 04:15:41 PM »
does anyone know of any dropbox-like software that can be used with your own server space?

I'm paying quite a bit for my web hosting but only using like 5% of my storage space. I've thought about backing up a lot of files to that space, since I'm paying for it, but its a pain to constantly have to manually FTP files. It would be nice to have something like dropbox that lets you sync across devices and maintain version control but that lets me connect it to the server space I already am paying for (instead of paying for yet another online service)

any suggestions?

It's not pretty like dropbox, but you can use rsync.
http://fak3r.com/2009/09/14/howto-build-your-own-open-source-dropbox-clone/

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2010, 08:25:23 PM »
micah, check your TOS before you do that.  A lot of web hosting companies have something in there like "you cannot use our servers as a backup service".

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2010, 08:26:55 PM »
kermi, the only one out of that bunch that will work in this situation would be Dropbox.  I really don't think a web-only version is going to do the trick.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2010, 07:59:34 AM »
I kinda figured, but I always think the Hive 5's are worth browsing through...How's the setup coming?
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2010, 08:39:59 AM »
The Hive 5's are freaking sweet.  I love that site.  And I haven't started setting it up yet.  Just doing some research for now.  I'll probably wait until after their event (April 24th) to get them completely setup.