Author Topic: The Matrix And Philosophy  (Read 3844 times)

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
The Matrix And Philosophy
« on: May 05, 2006, 10:55:15 AM »
The Matrix And Philosophy
Welcome to the Desert of the Real
Edited by William Irwin

I'm only about a 1/4 of the way through it but its really good. I kind of expected a joke of a book but it's really not. Basically a bunch of different Psycology professionals wrote essay's and articles about the matrix and its connections to philosophy. Anyone who loves the movie and the aspects behind it should definitly check this out.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
Re: The Matrix And Philosophy
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 11:34:07 AM »
There were many "matrix" type theories before the move. i had to study them in the (extremely boring) philosiphy class I took. Putnam's "Brains in a Vat" comes to mind.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 11:45:56 AM »
Well the matrix is an obvious tie into De Socrates, i didnt need the book to tell me that : ). It goes beyond that though. Some of them make VERY good points to the actual existence of the matrix, and some go the other direction. It really makes you think, which is why i wanted to dig into it : )
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 02:38:41 PM »
More like "The Matrix and how to extend a good movie into a long boring trilogy using things that only seem deep to people that have never used their brains before"

That wouldn't fit on the spine of the book, I guess.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 03:05:03 PM »
I always took a fascination with de Socrates and people like him that provoked thought. The movie was obviously referenced to people like him as well as his theories, and this book did a good job of tying them together.

groovitude

• some hip cat
  • Founders
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 04:13:49 PM »
There's a whole "Pop Culture and Philosophy" series.  A friend of mine got me "Bob Dylan and Philosophy (It's Alright Ma, I'm Only Thinking)" this past year for Christmas.
A sophism of madness...

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 04:35:16 PM »
I have "The Simpsons and Philosophy" somewhere.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2006, 05:46:52 PM »
I have a LoTR philosophy book.  Not half bad.

I also have the Marine philosophy book, but its pretty short.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2006, 01:33:15 PM »
I've actually aquired a few more since then. Two pertaining to the matrix and one on the columbine shootings.