Author Topic: Recommend a book  (Read 4291 times)

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
Recommend a book
« on: July 18, 2006, 05:13:46 PM »
I've been scanning through the reviews on the board looking for a new book to pick up but I'm still not really sure. This whole "reading for fun" thing is actually kinda new to me (I read 2 books in the last 6 or so weeks, before that I had probably read about 2 books (novels) outside of school in total)

I'm looking for fiction, something with some action and mystery. I really liked the pace of Angels & Demons.

I've heard good things about James Rollins, anyone read anything by him?

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: Recommend a book
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 08:04:51 AM »
I'm gonna recommend Neil Gaiman, like I do in every thread.  Neverwhere, American Gods, Anansi Boys.

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 08:10:56 AM »
:(  I was at a bookstore yesterday and saw about 5 books I wanted to pick up, but then I realized I had about 5 more books waiting to be read back at home.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 11:09:41 AM »
try Dante Club - I think you'll like it.

Amazon Review: Pearl's fiction debut should please fans of well-crafted literary mysteries. The title refers to an actual group of 19th-century Bostonians who gathered to translate Dante's Inferno for an American audience. Among the members of this exclusive "club" were poet Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, physician Oliver Wendell Holmes, and poet James Russell Lowell. While poring over the poem, the men find themselves on the trail of a serial killer who tortures his victims in ways that seem to be taken straight out of the pages of Inferno. The police are at a loss and must rely on the club members' unique knowledge of Dante's work to help catch the killer. Pearl, a recognized Dante scholar, uses his expertise to create an absorbing and dramatic period piece. Using historical figures in a mystery setting is not a new idea (e.g., Sir Isaac Newton plays detective in Philip Kerr's Dark Matter), but Pearl has proven himself a master. Best for medium to large public and academic libraries.
--Laurel Bliss, Yale Arts Lib.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 12:02:20 PM »
The Dante Club looks pretty interesting. I also checkout out some of Neil Gaiman's books on amazon too, looks like a pretty cool style. I couldn't find "We" on amazon (too many books have the word "we" in their title).

I'll probably head to the bookstore today and see what I find.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 05:31:01 PM »
Ah, ty overthrown. but i just got back from the bookstore.

I picked up The Dante Club and Dean Koontz's Velocity ... I think I'm gonna read velocity first. Ill let y'all know how it is.

[stealth]

• the original
  • Jackass V
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 08:36:57 PM »
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 08:40:23 PM by [stealthy] »