Author Topic: Orson Scott Card - Lost Boys...  (Read 3227 times)

Stephen

• Jackass IV
Orson Scott Card - Lost Boys...
« on: October 24, 2006, 04:01:43 PM »
Good read, though possibly not worth the ten dollars? More interesting than the actual storyline were Card's observations regarding the Mormon church. Characterization was well-done, though he seemed to overcharacterize trivial characters and undercharacterize certain other important ones (ie. Stevie), although his characterization of Step was superb. He left too many areas of conflict and suspense unresolved, which leaves the reader (or at least left me) unsatisfied, which lowers the sentimental value of the general resolution.

So, check it out if you've got extra time on your hands, but it's nothing special.

A Bit of Fruit

• loves threads ALL ABOUT HIM!!
  • Jackass V
  • Frontier Psychiatrist
Re: Orson Scott Card - Lost Boys...
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 07:44:04 PM »
Not scifi? Whats going on
i have a stationary fetish

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 12:19:46 AM »
What's he say about the church in general?  I know he's pretty heavy into Mormon culture - he lectures at the Mormon university here fairly reguarlly - though it has to be at least a 2 or 3 hour drive from his home.
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

Stephen

• Jackass IV
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 12:38:22 AM »
Yeah, he's LDS, in fact. You're in Virginia? I have a really good friend going to SVU right now.

Uh, he mostly comments on the politics involved between Mormons and such, which is probably not at all interesting to non-Mormons, but it is to me, who had no idea this existed. I think it'd probably interest you more if you read it, since there is implicit commentary throughout, and I suck at explaining things.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 06:24:54 AM »
Interesting.  Yea, I've been in Lexington Va, about 6 miles from SVU (same county, one town over) for about 4.5 years now for college.  I'm semi-working in the county schools right now.  I know SVU has done a lot to turn Beauna Vista around down there - it's becoming very intering having 2 major and one medium but rapidly growing colleges in one rural county...
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own