Author Topic: DuckDuckGo  (Read 5766 times)

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
DuckDuckGo
« on: October 23, 2015, 09:31:28 PM »
So I got a bit upset with Google today for yet again prompting me with a captcha to finish a stupid search. I got one a bit ago at a place I was consulting with and now it happened to me again at work today. So for the moment I'm going to try switching over to using DuckDuckGo as my default search engine. Maybe Google can get their act together and figure out how to handle stuff from inside a company network.
This signature intentionally left blank.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Re: DuckDuckGo
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 10:36:45 AM »
Wow I've never gotten that. Are you on a weird network?

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 11:17:16 AM »
I don't know why I've been getting it all of the sudden. Best I can reason is probably because I'm inside a tech company and we search for strange things that aren't celebrities and such so the system thinks we're robots.

I've read it's been out and others have had problems for a bit but maybe they changed and algorithm or something lately that's a bit too aggressive. Or I've got something on my laptop (or somebody else on the network) that's doing too much chatter to Google. I'm pretty sure it's not just me though since in the last company network it happened in pretty much everyone that day started getting the notice, and a few had it before I got it.
This signature intentionally left blank.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2015, 05:40:09 PM »
Nor have I.  Never even heard of it.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 10:57:54 AM »
I've heard of this happening to some people at the university. If you issue too many searches in a short period of time they try to validate that you're not a bot.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 01:12:46 PM »
I don't know why I've been getting it all of the sudden. Best I can reason is probably because I'm inside a tech company and we search for strange things that aren't celebrities and such so the system thinks we're robots.

Or maybe someone inside your network is doing bad things? or worse, your network has be compromised and is doing bad things unbeknownst to you?
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."