Author Topic: 3d printer  (Read 4550 times)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
3d printer
« on: December 08, 2020, 01:37:04 AM »
Does anyone have one? I am thinking of getting an entry model for my son for Christmas. But I wonder if it will be cool for a few days and then not used anymore? do you guys have any experience.

All of our kiddos are about the same age - what is Santa bringing your kids?

My daughter is set - we ordered her a yamaha keyboard and some accessories. She has been playing on our standup piano for a few months with my wife's help and seems to really enjoy it.

I'm just not sure what to get my son. In his letter, he asked Santa for a nintendo switch or another BB gun...

Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
Re: 3d printer
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2020, 08:16:28 AM »
My brother-in-law has a 3D printer and uses it a lot. He makes custom parts for his drones and random odds and ends (cookie cutters, bubble blowers, etc...). I once printed a replacement clasp for my fitbit which was pretty handy. I feel like I'd never use a 3D printer (unless I lose another fitbit clasp...), but if you're a "maker" with a hobby that can utilize it then it may get some use.

My kids are getting some gymnastics equipment for the basement. A bar and some mats. They both have android tablets that they use for school (mostly raz kids) which are pretty slow, we're thinking of upgrading those as well.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2020, 08:48:32 AM »
I don't have a 3d printer.  My brother has 2 but he runs his own business and uses them to build models of the things he manufactures.  Plus he made a bunch of those ear saver things for mask wearing.

My kids are getting random things.  My son is getting a new gaming/desk chair plus some games (board and video), clothes, and a new phone case.  My daughter is getting a new keyboard/mouse/mouse pad plus some stuff for her bed and makeup.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2020, 10:58:31 AM »
we've been doing a single bigger gift for a few years now, and that works good. And Ben, you did remind me of something - my Daughter wanted a gaming chair too, so that will be her bday gift!
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2020, 11:40:28 AM »
We usually do a big gift and then a few smaller ones.  We've definitely scaled back in the numbers over the years.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2020, 01:37:33 PM »
Yeah, we told our kids they can put 3 things on their christmas list. The problem is the amount of stuff they'll get from grandparents and aunts/uncles.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2020, 08:11:07 PM »
I have an older Prusa i3 with the wooden frame. There are way better and more advanced models out there now (including newer Prusa models). I think even the Monoprice one is fairly well received.
This signature intentionally left blank.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2020, 08:12:42 PM »
This channel might have some list. He does a lot of reviews I used to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb8Rde3uRL1ohROUVg46h1A

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2020, 09:51:51 AM »
I have an older Prusa i3 with the wooden frame. There are way better and more advanced models out there now (including newer Prusa models). I think even the Monoprice one is fairly well received.

are you still using yours?

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2020, 10:30:39 AM »
Sometimes. But not as much as I should be. I don't have a self leveling kit on it so it's a chore to level it all of the time and I need to get a new nozzle for better printing (and drop the filament size). I put together the kit I bought years ago but it's way more fiddly than a normal printer and honestly, if I didn't have one I'd probably learn to do the CAD work and just get it printed from an online option. But I'm a gadget geek so it's fun to play with.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2020, 10:35:42 AM »
I'd like to upgrade mine to the track driven style instead of my current belt system. It's a fun toy to have an be able to make random stuff I find on thingiverse like brackets and such for webcams or little toys. But prints take a while and sometime fail in the middle for random reasons so it can be frustrating some times too.

I got mine since I was planning on making parts for my custom pinball machine but that still hasn't happened yet. Someday though.

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2020, 11:55:55 AM »
Used mine loads this year, mainly to make a CNC machine

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FnqvoDw9A5kZhC9p8

Link may be a bit loud - turn volume down.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2021, 11:07:45 AM »
I just got a new one last night. Went for the Ender 3 v2. A friend of mine has the pro version after his mendel died and said it's been working pretty well for him. Not sure what I'm going to do with my old one. Was going to maybe see if I can find a school to donate it to and let them play around with it. Got some fancy marble filament too that I saw the demo version printing while I was there. Looks like I should be able to get some nice quality prints. I'm going to have to relearn modeling and slicing though so that'll be fun. I'm going to see about building a Plen2 robot to play around with.