Author Topic: Covid-19 mental health check-in  (Read 20405 times)

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
Re: Covid-19 mental health check-in
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2020, 11:53:47 AM »
I finished setting up the hydroponics.  It is just tomatoes and ton of herbs.  We have to wait a little longer before getting the summer squash (which does mean another trip to the nursery).  I might have killed the dill during washing and transplant but we'll see.

Also, mowed both yards.  It goes a lot faster when you stop trying to catch it and just let it mulch.

Overall, I'm doing a bit better.  Friday I spent some time lining my work up so I have more direction on what to work on.

But you know the thing that really kind of sucks, I REALLY want some fast food.  I totally know it is better in all regards if I stay home and eat at home.  But man, some Taco Bell sounds good right about now.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2020, 12:08:52 PM »
Mulching is so much better (and healthier).

I organized my work space so I feel a little better setup at home now.  Ready to kick some ass.  The weekend was meh.  A little bit of cabin fever but we made a bunch of stuff so we have some food.  Prior to this we typically ate out at least 3-4 times in a week and we haven't ordered anything in about 2 weeks.  And we got a bunch of random frozen stuff from the grocery store and most of it is turning out good.

Overall we're doing ok here.  Just sort of figuring it all out and everyone finding their space.  It was pretty huge to get my son setup with a computer in the basement with my daughter so they can both work on their homework and stufff.  I think we'd be stabbing each other if he was still using my machine.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2020, 12:32:34 PM »
I finished setting up the hydroponics.  It is just tomatoes and ton of herbs.  We have to wait a little longer before getting the summer squash (which does mean another trip to the nursery).  I might have killed the dill during washing and transplant but we'll see.

we started seeds on Saturday - did A LOT of stuff - everything except root veggies. it was an awesome family activity. We just don't get a lot of sunlight in the inside of the cabin. so we keep chasing it. I might invest in a grow light.

Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2020, 12:36:34 PM »
But you know the thing that really kind of sucks, I REALLY want some fast food.  I totally know it is better in all regards if I stay home and eat at home.  But man, some Taco Bell sounds good right about now.

I'm surprised that I am not yearning it - like at all. I hope this helps build a new [healthy] habit. Speaking of tacos, we did have them the past two night for dinner. They were out of ground venison.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2020, 01:41:06 PM »
Mulching is so much better (and healthier).
I've got a bunch of weeds in my yards that I need to get out.  So, I'm a little concerned about spreading them around.  But, that might be an issue for a future year.

we started seeds on Saturday - did A LOT of stuff - everything except root veggies. it was an awesome family activity. We just don't get a lot of sunlight in the inside of the cabin. so we keep chasing it. I might invest in a grow light.
I cheated and got seedlings from the nursery and just rinsed the dirt off of the roots.  One year I'll do it from seeds.

We're gonna go back and get some squash and carrots and do them in dirt.  We also need to find a flower we got last year that did really well and is a pollinator attracter.

I built a hydroponics box for the tomatoes but man my skills aren't that great.  That said, I want to look for a root vegetable set up.  And focus on learning the chemicals/food used so I can have different sources for it.

I'm surprised that I am not yearning it - like at all. I hope this helps build a new [healthy] habit. Speaking of tacos, we did have them the past two night for dinner. They were out of ground venison.
Honestly, I think it is mostly just habit.  Mondays was work from home day and I'd go get us TB for lunch.  And lunch was never a strong meal practice to begin with.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2020, 03:32:25 PM »
the sap is really flowing - already have a little over 2L

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2020, 03:49:21 PM »
Wait, it is clear?

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2020, 04:56:35 PM »
Wait, it is clear?
I'm pretty sure you have to boil the crap out of sap to get syrup.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2020, 05:57:36 PM »
Wait, it is clear?
Wait, it is clear?
I'm pretty sure you have to boil the crap out of sap to get syrup.

yes, its basically sugar water. Like Jen said, you have to boil the crap out of it to get rid of the water and be left with syrup. And since "crap" is not too well defined, 10 gallons of sap make a quart of syrup.

There were years where we didn't collect too much sap so we just drank it - it is really quite delicious and good for your digestive system. Birch sap is also delicious and good for you. I tapped a couple birches today, but they are not flowing yet.

At this time we have two 2L jars and half a bottle of sap.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2020, 09:35:50 PM »
So if its 40:1 sap to syrup ratio, on average, how much sap does a single tree yield in a given season?

Also, dumb question i feel like I should know since i've seen tapped trees around new england my whole life but... what is the viscosity of the sap? My general perception of sap is that it is a thick gell-like substance that near-instantly hardens (usually on my car) once it leaves the tree.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2020, 12:14:56 AM »
So if its 40:1 sap to syrup ratio, on average, how much sap does a single tree yield in a given season?

Also, dumb question i feel like I should know since i've seen tapped trees around new england my whole life but... what is the viscosity of the sap? My general perception of sap is that it is a thick gell-like substance that near-instantly hardens (usually on my car) once it leaves the tree.

I suppose the yield depends on the size of the tree. Today we got around 2 gallons worth of sap from our tree. I bet if I had a second tap on it, I could get twice as much. Sap runs from mid February to early April as long as day time temps are above zero. I Am looking to produce a quart to 2 quarts of syrup this year so will stop the tap one I get about 20 gallons

Viscosity of sap is just like water, it is not thick at all

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2020, 06:02:44 AM »
Most folks think of pine resin as the only sap they know because it is the only one commonly seen.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2020, 09:44:27 PM »
how is everyone doing? I'm feeling much better; much less anxious. I think the thing that did it was to limit listening to the news. I read a few things in the morning and then just look at news snippets on youtube in the afternoon. Also, I have a ton of work all of a sudden. I've been busier these past 3 or 4 days than I have been in a while. this is a good thing though.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2020, 09:22:16 AM »
Fine here so far.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2020, 10:02:40 AM »
I'm really struggling... my wife and I are both trying to work and take care of the kids which is causing a lot of conflict. Between work, homeschooling, and all the regular house stuff... there's just not enough hours in the day. My job is our primary income, and she has reduced direct hours, but she still has a lot of report writing to do from previous clients. So on one hand we both realize I need to work, but it doesn't happen without a big fight. She's also made a detailed home schooling schedule that she's very serious about, I think it's a bit overkill and am much more relaxed about it. That just causes more conflict..

We're trying to make a schedule to stick to, but really there's just not enough hours in the day to make everything work. :suicide: