Author Topic: FUCK EA  (Read 9626 times)

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
FUCK EA
« on: September 14, 2008, 08:58:02 AM »

Dumah

• Jackass IV
Re: FUCK EA
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 09:10:30 AM »
ID games just started plans to distribute thier stuff via EA.

Mind you, as long as they continue to give out Linux installers I doubt that this DRM stuff will follow me onto Linux.

::fingers crossed::

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 12:19:35 PM »
DRM is one of the reasons i have been wanting to get into linux
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 12:23:50 PM »
Sure is.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 12:43:14 PM »
Pong

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 01:19:33 PM »
DRM is one of the reasons i have been wanting to get into linux

Nobody releases anything for retarded linux, so you
won't have to worry about DRM anyway. Seriously,
what the hell are you going to play on Linux?

umm, anything i want? And DRM is a problem.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

PJYelton

• Power of Voodoo
  • Jackass In Charge
    • TheRecursiveFractal
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 01:47:37 PM »
It IS a problem because it treats me like a dirty pirate while the actual pirates don't have to put up with the crap at all.  I'm technically only renting the game.  And its not 3 necesarrily different machines.  What if the first time you try installing it crashes?  Lose an install.  What if you reformat your machine?  Lose an install.  Change your motherboard, CPU, or graphics card? Possibly lose an install.  Buy a new computer?  Lose an install.

They say just call them up and they'll give you an extra install.  Fun!  I get to spend 3 hours on hold with a tech support who thinks everything I'm saying is a lie and that I'm a filthy pirate, and its up to his mercy whether or not he wants to be generous enough to allow me another install on a game I supposedly own.

And what if EA goes bankrupt?  $50 coaster, whoohoo!

Dumah

• Jackass IV
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 01:54:53 PM »
It IS a problem because it treats me like a dirty pirate while the actual pirates don't have to put up with the crap at all.  I'm technically only renting the game.  And its not 3 necesarrily different machines.  What if the first time you try installing it crashes?  Lose an install.  What if you reformat your machine?  Lose an install.  Change your motherboard, CPU, or graphics card? Possibly lose an install.  Buy a new computer?  Lose an install.

They say just call them up and they'll give you an extra install.  Fun!  I get to spend 3 hours on hold with a tech support who thinks everything I'm saying is a lie and that I'm a filthy pirate, and its up to his mercy whether or not he wants to be generous enough to allow me another install on a game I supposedly own.

Well put

Nobody releases anything for retarded linux, so you
won't have to worry about DRM anyway. Seriously,
what the hell are you going to play on Linux?

The Unreal Games, ID Games, all the games that run on Wine: Half Life 2, C&C3...TuxRacer :)

The thing is that its the thin end of the wedge. You pay the same money for less of a product. I have an old copy of Quake 3 that spends most of its time gathering dust. Occasionally I load it up and have a blast and dont have to worry about some hidden trojan telling tales on me because it was originally installed on another PC. Now if I buy a recent game from EA, I dont get the same usage, but pay the same price. And the daft thing is that I can download a pirate copy for free and not have to worry about this crap

PJYelton

• Power of Voodoo
  • Jackass In Charge
    • TheRecursiveFractal
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 02:32:15 PM »
They say multiple installs don't count, but there have been a LOT of complaints from people who say that the game DID count it as a separate install.  And a lot of the crashes occurred during the authentication.  Also tons of reports from people who have had less than friendly experiences with the EA staff in trying to get extra installs.

Maybe everyone is lying, who knows, but the point is I don't want to spend over 50 bucks to find out.  Much rather spend my money on a Wii game then taking a chance on this crap and crossing my fingers that everything works out fine for the next 10 years that I'd possibly like to play a game I supposedly own.

And pirates may not have the full version of Spore at this point but its likely only a matter of time.  And even if not, theres quite a few other games out there with DRM where pirates get the exact same game.

PJYelton

• Power of Voodoo
  • Jackass In Charge
    • TheRecursiveFractal
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 02:51:23 PM »
Force Unleashed comes out tomorrow!!

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 02:53:27 PM »
But I'm still playing spore!

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 03:44:50 PM »

Very well put. I once lost my login info to steam, and didnt have access to my email account anymore. Several calls and emails to Valve and i was told to send them proof of purchase and a copy of my cd key sleeve. I dont have proof of purchase, and they wouldnt take the sleeve alone. They also said i had to send $25 with the proof.

WTF? So i pay just shy of $100 the day it came out, played twice and now they basically tell me to fuck off. Luckily i was able to get the domain back the email was based on, and gain access to my account. Otherwise....

I get the anti piracy, but that was bad enough. DRM is bullshit.

Dumah

• Jackass IV
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 03:52:07 PM »
I had a crap time with Steam as well. Bought the Orange box form Tesco and was told that the serial I had was in use (if a cracker has precalculated some serials this can happen). Emailed Valve and after a day was emailed to provide proof of purchase. I thought to hell with this and took it back to Tesco and got another copy. To get them to change it I told them the disk was corrupted (otherwise they would have sent me back to Valve).

Net effect:
1. Disk gets sent back to Valve by Tesco and Valve cover the cost of a corrupt product.
2. I get the game I wanted after a load of hassle.
3. The kid that downloaded the game with my cracked serial probably didn't get any stress and for all I know is playing the game with no problems to this day

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2008, 03:56:34 PM »
Pirates will pirate, why make the rest of us jump through hoops.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2008, 04:06:09 PM »
Better then making us dance